• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Intake piping; Question for Pinepig other Turbo EFI guys

H_Krix

I've been looking all over, but I can't find any place to buy mandrel-bent aluminum intake piping. I also need a source for the silicone joints to connect it all together.

I basically need a 30 or 45 degree bend, then 12" of straight and then another 30 or 45. I'm trying to put my intake filer ahead of the radiator for some cooler air. I'm usually pretty good about tracking down my own stuff, but have been hitting dead ends here.

Pic of some of Charlie's (Pinepig's) intake work (pre-turbo) The size coming off the intake manifold looks to be about 2.5" - exactly what I'm looking for to mate up to the 325i throttle body.

interpass.jpg

Thanks in advance.

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

cxracing on ebay is the ticket for IC tubing, cheap and good, they usually ship the next day. They are beaded, and actually welds fairly well, its not poor quality aluminum. For couplers I have bought from atpturbo.com as well as pegasusautoracing.com. The cxracing kits come with couplers and tbolts. The tbolts are fine, throw their couplers in the garbage.

Matt

why aluminium ?

i made mine with steel mandrel bends, available at all muffler shop.

Picture above, the guy is colecting the hot air from above the manifold...couldnt be worse imho.

its the hottest spot under the hood !!

got my silicone hoses from them:

http://www.boostcontroller.com/index.php?category=34

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel

why aluminium ?

Picture above, the guy is colecting the hot air from above the manifold...couldnt be worse imho.

Thanks Pat & Matt.

The pic above was from before Charlie put his turbo in, I believe. No reason to run an intercooled NA system, he was just running the ducting there in anticipation of tossing the turbo in that spot.

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

why aluminium ?

Thanks Pat & Matt.

The pic above was from before Charlie put his turbo in, I believe. No reason to run an intercooled NA system, he was just running the ducting there in anticipation of tossing the turbo in that spot.

Correct, I was working my way from the TB back, I think I actually joked about being the only fool who would ever show up at the Bay Area meet with an intercooled NA car.

The ebay link in the other post is the same folks I got mine from, all 2.5"

Steel would def be easier if you don't have access to a TIG and the weight difference would be minimal.

Charlie Mac in Sacramento.

My Blog

I'm an كافر

For my job, I purchase large quantities of aluminum and S/S elbows from Morris Coupling based out of Erie, PA. They fabricate in Knoxville, TN.

I've bought a couple of short radius elbows for another "turbo" guy.

www.morriscoupling.com

Not sure if they will accept a private, one-time buyer.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Sorry for the partial hijack, but it is turbo related. Just curious about your setups.

What size throttle bodies are you all running? What fuel rail? This is probably more Charlie Mac specific as ive planned to use the early 320i mani. with its limited space. Charlie, did you put some sleeves in the CIS injector holes to fit your injectors?

Also, what blow off valve?

As for H_Krix question, i was just going to buy a generic cheapo piping lot on ebay and cut to size and fit with silicone bends. This seems to be the e30tech method. If any pieces i cut the lipped end off, id just put a bead around to make sure the silicone bends held on.

Cheers,

Tom

6780296635_13fa58faa3_b.jpg

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

What size throttle bodies are you all running? What fuel rail? This is probably more Charlie Mac specific as ive planned to use the early 320i mani. with its limited space. Charlie, did you put some sleeves in the CIS injector holes to fit your injectors?

I'm planning on:

- Honda Prelude (H22 - B18 Integra is the same) 60mm throttle body, with the manifold modified (with a custom plate) to fit it - come with a proper throttle position sensor and an integrated fast idle valve (run coolant through the FIV and it bypasses air when cold, I hope).

- I'll use a 318i manifold, 318i fuel rail, new injectors - the easy way.

Am also planning on cheap alloy tubes and joiners.

2002tii race car

I'm planning on:

- Honda Prelude (H22 - B18 Integra is the same) 60mm throttle body, with the manifold modified (with a custom plate) to fit it - come with a proper throttle position sensor and an integrated fast idle valve (run coolant through the FIV and it bypasses air when cold, I hope).

- I'll use a 318i manifold, 318i fuel rail, new injectors - the easy way.

Am also planning on cheap alloy tubes and joiners.

Thanks Cam - is this with the Garrett gt25##? Im picking up my gt2860rs on the weekend. Cant wait to have it all set up!

I just picked up a 56mm TB from a honda of some description on ebay with a TPS - Inpulse buy and it was cheap. Add mentioned he was using it for an M10 BMW motor so i thought what the hey...

I did think about the 318i manifold but i decided to go with the 320i in the end. Im looking forward to your build and seeing it take shape. Any idea on intercooler size yet?

Cheers,

Tom

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

Sorry for the partial hijack, but it is turbo related. Just curious about your setups.

Cheers,

Tom

The 60mm ( I measured it at 57 ) out of the honda prelude. I had to make an adapter plate, use 1/2" ( thick) aluminim rather than the 3/8" that I used you'll have a little more wiggle room to fit it.

For the injectors I actually found out the the 42# ers ( the 24s I had before slid right in ) I'm using now will fit in the Kfish plastic injector cups that were already in the manifold, I had to grind down the plastic hat on the end of the injector a bit to slide it in there and then had to open up the manifold a bit to get the injector to go down far enough. The reality is until you have injectors in hand ( they are all a little different from what I've seen ) you won't really know what you'll have to do to make it work.

For the BOV I bought a DSM one ( Mitsu Eclipse ) off Ebay for 20$ and welded a flat plate onto my inercooler tubing so I could bolt it on.

Click the little " my blog " link in my sig and there are some pics that may help.

Charlie Mac in Sacramento.

My Blog

I'm an كافر

Thanks Cam - is this with the Garrett gt25##? Im picking up my gt2860rs on the weekend. Cant wait to have it all set up!

I just picked up a 56mm TB from a honda of some description on ebay with a TPS - Inpulse buy and it was cheap. Add mentioned he was using it for an M10 BMW motor so i thought what the hey...

I did think about the 318i manifold but i decided to go with the 320i in the end. Im looking forward to your build and seeing it take shape. Any idea on intercooler size yet?

Cheers,

Tom

I'd prefer to go the 320i manifold for looks, but I have the 318i so that's gonna be it.

I think Pinepig's right - it might be a "60mm" TB with the actual plate is 57mm. Either way a massive upgrade from the peashooter 318i one. I actually already had the whole manifold (I used to have a Civic with an H22) so will cut off the original mounting part from the Prelude manifold and get that welded onto the 318i manifold. Or some variation on that.

I was planning on approx 500cc injectors - whatever I can get cheap enough (Evo or Silvia S15 if they fit). I will either go with an Evo BOV (if they are like those DSM ones) or a WRX one if they work, or failing that Bosch p/n 0 280 142 110 which is apparently the highest spring pressure Bosch one. I definitely don't want a pssccchhhtt sound so I will recirculate, and I might put it before the intercooler as this will make the piping considerably less hassle.

For intercooler, I am undecided - Pinepig's looks good and I understand that short and tall is better than long and thin, but I'm most likely to go with a 450mmx150mmx65mm - its hard finding info whether this is enough cooling for circuit racing. I'm also mentally juggling how to fit bigger radiator, the intercooler and an oil cooler in along with an electric fan...

Don't hold your breath on me getting much done though - I'm acquiring parts at the moment but am probably a couple of months away from meaningful progress. I guess I should start a project thread at some stage.

(late edit) It's for a GT2560 - the 200sx/Silvia ball bearing one. Sort of a baby GT28RS. I'd love one of those but got the smaller turbo for a good price and I'm not fussed about having heaps of power - the car will be circuit and tarmac rally and for the latter a broad torque curve is better than high power.

At least that's what I'm telling myself. If I love the boost and the turbo size and standard cam is holding me back, I'll change. I'll build the rest of the engine around 300hp, but goal is 200+.

2002tii race car

I'd prefer to go the 320i manifold for looks, but I have the 318i so that's gonna be it.

I think Pinepig's right - it might be a "60mm" TB with the actual plate is 57mm. Either way a massive upgrade from the peashooter 318i one. I actually already had the whole manifold (I used to have a Civic with an H22) so will cut off the original mounting part from the Prelude manifold and get that welded onto the 318i manifold. Or some variation on that.

I was planning on approx 500cc injectors - whatever I can get cheap enough (Evo or Silvia S15 if they fit). I will either go with an Evo BOV (if they are like those DSM ones) or a WRX one if they work, or failing that Bosch p/n 0 280 142 110 which is apparently the highest spring pressure Bosch one. I definitely don't want a pssccchhhtt sound so I will recirculate, and I might put it before the intercooler as this will make the piping considerably less hassle.

For intercooler, I am undecided - Pinepig's looks good and I understand that short and tall is better than long and thin, but I'm most likely to go with a 450mmx150mmx65mm - its hard finding info whether this is enough cooling for circuit racing. I'm also mentally juggling how to fit bigger radiator, the intercooler and an oil cooler in along with an electric fan...

Don't hold your breath on me getting much done though - I'm acquiring parts at the moment but am probably a couple of months away from meaningful progress. I guess I should start a project thread at some stage.

(late edit) It's for a GT2560 - the 200sx/Silvia ball bearing one. Sort of a baby GT28RS. I'd love one of those but got the smaller turbo for a good price and I'm not fussed about having heaps of power - the car will be circuit and tarmac rally and for the latter a broad torque curve is better than high power.

At least that's what I'm telling myself. If I love the boost and the turbo size and standard cam is holding me back, I'll change. I'll build the rest of the engine around 300hp, but goal is 200+.

Sounds like i have a similarish TB - Seller said its a 56mm butterfly. Ive been wondering about injectors too and came to the conclusion of around 440cc would be fine. Might go larger when motor is rebuilt. Ill only run low boost to start with and run some smaller injectors to suit.

You might want to double check but IIRC S15 injectors are side feed, like on the RB25DET motors as well. GTR injectors are top feed so maybe grab a set of them instead? (think they are are around 500cc???)

Ive got a PWR intercooler which is 500x210x63. Its pushing the limits of the front nose section but ive already thought through how to make it fit and fingers crossed it will work. I didnt want to take the ebay gamble, i hear its a bit hit and miss quality wise.

With the BOV, i grabbed a Turbosmart Plumback unit as i too dont want any pscccht noise either. The aim for me is stealthy and sleeper. They are about $150 second hand on ebay. I hope its a good choice.

Sounds like we are both at very similar stages of our builds. Definitely get up a project blog!

Pinepig, thanks very much for the info!

Cheers,

Tom

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky