• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any E30 M3 Experts/Owners?....Need Advice

02fanatic

I know this is slightly (well more than that) off topic, but my son & I are about to undertake a joint venture to restore for street or prepare a track car. We may go either way, depending on what we find. We were thinking of doing an '02, but my son has alot of knowledge of E30's.

I have an afinity for E30 M3's, having passed on a pristine example back in '92 Diamonswartz/Black while used Bimmer shopping. I bought an '88 M5 instead...love the car, but the E30 M3 is just "cool"! :-)

What things should we look out for in an M3 these days, other than the obvious (wrecks, aftermarket replacement junk, overall cosmetic condition)?

Looks to me that to find an excellent example I'm looking at $30k range! For a track car, we might find something in the sub $10k range, that would need alot of work.

Any advice appreciated.

John

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

For a track car, either get a dirt cheap E30 325is, or if you really want an M3, I'd consider looking at E36M3s. They are very very affordable right now and would not cost much into a track car. Other than cooling issues (lots of aftermarket stuff out there), they are pretty reliable, and it does not take much investment (usually just suspension rebuild/upgrade) to make a really rewarding track car out of it.

E30 M3s are starting to become a bit more rare, and I'm not sure you would not want to convert a really nice example into a track car. Finding a car in need of restoration will be big $$ to restore, especially if you are considering a motor rebuild.

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net

I would check over on R3VLimited.com They pop up there from time to time and those guys coudl point you to some that may not be advertisd yet, too. There was one on there recently sub-$10k that was in the throws of track prep. I see nice ones for $16-20k pretty frequently on line at a place near Cincinnati (forgot the name), but they seem to have nothing but E30 M3's. It's on autotrader.com

Good luck!

"Why would I pay that much money for a 1981 BMW that looks...like a 1981 BMW?" -Charles William Jones, Jr.

1975 Polaris, Sunroof

1976 Malaga

1993 E36 Sedan

1992 Mazda Miata

1998 Volvo V70

Here's a good place to start:

http://www.terrysaytherauto.com/E30%20M3%20Race%20Roller.htm

Terry Sayther is one crazy guy! But he's a crazy good guy and he could help you get started on this-a-here project!

Tell 'im I sent ya!

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

John, I have owned several E30 M3's. Still have a 91 with 71k. They are my favorite BMW. The downside to ownership is the same as your M5. The mechanicals on these cars require a high degree of care and the complexity means that when rebuild time comes that you cannot do it yourself and it will be expensive. The rebuild on an S14 is pretty close to an S38 in terms of cost, so 12-15k to do it right. If you want a track car, I would agree that going with another E30 variant is a good choice. If you really want an E30 M3, buy the best one you can find. The for sale listing on s14.net and a visit to enthusiastauto.com (dealer, premium cars and prices, but critical mass in terms of inventory) will give you an idea of prices. Tim

More former BMW's than it is possible to list.

Any advice appreciated.

John. The e30 M3 is a wonderfull car. Such a vehicle will never be reproduced ever. It makes a superb track car if you are willing to scrupulously observ oil changes. If you like 2002s, you'll rave about the M3. It doesn't have the torque or the power of later M3s, it is heavier than an 02 but it is so much fun to drive. The engine is marvelous and the chassis is so nimble. That car is a jewel that you should buy and drive while they are still available.

Put GC coil-overs, ST swaybars and you are ready to go. It is a car that rewards good drivers.

Lee

Giving a hell of a ride to an e46 M3 owner

springfling_2007_0878.jpg

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

Thanks Lee and all who responded....you have all just confirmed my passion for these cars. Those of us old enough to remember when the E30 M3 came to our shores "new" remember how "obscure" and "un-noticed" they were in the late 80's. Only true Bimmer Fanatics knew about the E30 M3...most Americans "had no clue!"

Now, more people know how great they are and that is why they are getting harder to find.

I suppose we could always slip in an S50 or S52 M3 engine into a good e30 M3 Shell if we find one with a bad engine...but a stock S14 would be better balanced no doubt.

I'll keep my eyes peeled, and we'll see what shakes out.

One color I love, but have never seen is Cinnabar in an E30 M3...the other two reds are much more common. But, I'd be happy with any color really.

Happy '02ing,

John

Any advice appreciated.

John. The e30 M3 is a wonderfull car. Such a vehicle will never be reproduced ever. It makes a superb track car if you are willing to scrupulously observ oil changes. If you like 2002s, you'll rave about the M3. It doesn't have the torque or the power of later M3s, it is heavier than an 02 but it is so much fun to drive. The engine is marvelous and the chassis is so nimble. That car is a jewel that you should buy and drive while they are still available.

Put GC coil-overs, ST swaybars and you are ready to go. It is a car that rewards good drivers.

Lee

Giving a hell of a ride to an e46 M3 owner

springfling_2007_0878.jpg

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

I've always liked that Salmon Silver they came in.

When I was in school down in Daytona, My buddies and I hooked up with these 4 girls at this club. One of them wasn't drinking so she offered to drive us all to the next club. Low and behold, we all walk out to a Henna red e-30 M3!

All 8 of us got in and made it to the next club. Lots of fun!

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

The mechanicals on these cars require a high degree of care and the complexity means that when rebuild time comes that you cannot do it yourself and it will be expensive. The rebuild on an S14 is pretty close to an S38 in terms of cost, so 12-15k to do it right. Tim

Wow, that's just not true. My first big project with a wrench was a full rebuild of my S14. It was no harder than rebuilding my M20. I did a FULL rebuild with all new OEM BMW parts and it cost me less than half of what you stated. Congrats on doing your part to perpetuate the S14 internet myth.

1990 325i

1976 2002

Congrats on doing your part to perpetuate the S14 internet myth.

Internet myth? Well, not quite, perhaps some clarification is needed.

Check out some reputable engine builders and ask them for a quote. Then again if you rebuilt a stock 2.0 motor that was in good shape to begin with yourself, I can see where you could save money.

Try building a 2.5 Evo motor or even a really nice 2.3 Evo. 12k-15k is not unreasonable for this.

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net

Internet myth? Well, not quite, perhaps some clarification is needed.

Check out some reputable engine builders and ask them for a quote. Then again if you rebuilt a stock 2.0 motor that was in good shape to begin with yourself, I can see where you could save money.

Try building a 2.5 Evo motor or even a really nice 2.3 Evo. 12k-15k is not unreasonable for this.

I was under the impression we were talking about a stock rebuild. My frustration came from the comment that the S14 is soooo complex that only a shop can touch it. There is no reason the average person with basic tools can't accomplish this in their garage. It is no more complex than a M10. If anything it's easier because of the lack of a carb.

Of course when you start throwing Evo parts and other upgrades in the S14 the price becomes astronomical very quickly, especially in relation to the hp you get.

1990 325i

1976 2002