Paul7002

Steering box seal removal & replace - How to?

4 posts / 961 viewsLast Reply

I searched and didn't get much.

Specifically, the upper seal. How do I get the old one out w/out messing up the box where it seats and how do I put the new on in? Which side does it go in from? Special tricks? etc. The box is out of the car and disassembled.

I have Four different manuals and this is not mentioned in any of them!

Paul there is a old post I came across the other day with a search that explained a trick to replace the top shaft seal without disassembling the box at all. I need to do the same job, mine is leaking like crazy. Where did you get the seal, BMW wants $20 for it :(

I think the seal was like $10 or so from my local dealer, with BMWCCA discount. Maybe the bigger, lower one is $20?

I saw that post, but i didn't really seem to help much with my question: How to remove the old, and how to put in the new one. Must be so simple that nobody else asks and instructions aren't required. But, I'm kinda slow...

You're talking about the input shaft seal, I assume?:

Steeringbox_new2.jpg

I had the worm and roller gears out of mine, so it was just a matter of gently prying the old seal out with a flathead screwdriver. I wouldn't try to cut it out, you could scar the aluminum too easily.

If the seals are still in the car, maybe a right-angle pick tool would do the job. The seal is u-shaped, with the dome pointing outwards. I guess you could cut with an exacto knife along the dome of the "U" to separate the inner and outer sides of the seal, then remove separately.

I've not done this however, so use caution. Its just an idea.