flynbimmer

Plug gap

5 posts / 1670 viewsLast Reply

What is the correct spark plug gap for my 1974 02'.....I have Bosch WR8DC plugs I will be installing......not sure if the gap is .024 or .028?

Thanks for the help,

Mike

The current thinking is to go considerably bigger than stock (which was .024"). I've been experimenting with gaps as large as .032", but .024-.030 is safe. Make them consistent! If you're using an aftermarket ignition kit (Crane/XR700, etc) bigger than stock gaps will keep the plugs much happier. Stay the hell away from Bosch platinum plugs (the ones with "P" in them)...they're no good for us oldtimer car owners. Unfortunately - that's all most autoparts store dudes will offer you. "duh...my computer says they're correct for your car"...uh huh...no thanks.

the 7, 8, and 9 "DC" Bosch plugs have served me well over the last 20+ years. People rave 'bout them Japanese NGK critters, though. We use them in modern BMWs, but I want everything on my car to be of German or Italian origin....yeah I know...it's all from Brazil these days anyway!

Paul Wegweiser

Thank you Paul,

I always use the W7/W8 Bosch Super's......I will try the varying gaps and see how that works.

BTW...I have all stock distributor, and points.....only upgrade is the Weber DGAV carb.

Mike

high energy ignition system--according to an article I recently read (for us old guys/gals, one of the Gus Wilson stories from Popular Science back in the 60s) from the dawn of the CD/high energy ignition systems, running too small a gap with one of these can cause a mild but noticeable surging or misfire under light load conditions. The story recommended a .040 gap for these systems.

I have this light load surge/misfire symptom and am running a .035 gap with my vintage Delta Mk10B CD system. Anyone have experience here? Am gonna try .040 or even .045 and see if it makes a difference.

cheers

mike

On my 1976 2002 I've been runing stock 0.024 gap with my Bosch WR8DC plugs and stock engine, except for Bosch Blue coil, but still using points, etc. Has been runing pretty good. Made two changes yesterday: bypassing the ceramic resistor to the coil and increased plug gaps to 0.035. BIG difference - smoother idle and seemingly stronger acceleration. I'll try some other gaps but I like what I have now! Next, I'll fine tune the Solex enrichment a bit. This is my first 2002, and I'm having as much fun working on it as driving it!