bobthomas

Rear interior panel removal

6 posts / 1470 viewsLast Reply

While I'm waiting on a fuel pipe,I've removed seats & am installing sound deadener. I'd like to put some in the rear behind the side panels. What's the trick for removing the panels. Thanks.

Mine went straight up as esty says. With your seat out I would carefully pull up the rearward side first, then the front side, and if the middle gives you problems, which mine did, you can pull out the ashtrays to get your hands more in the middle of the panel. Enough commas in that sentence?

I felt like four clips was overkill so only re-installed with two.

If you clean your ashtrays be careful. I washed the silver painted stripe right off of them using dish soap.

There MAY BE a few plastic "door panel" clips along the leading vertical edge, if the car was assembled correctly/ original. pop them first - then lift up - I open the side glass and pull on the aluminum upper edge with one hand while pulling the panel with the other - making sure not to separate the trim from the vinyl.

If your car is like every 2002 and most E30s I've ever owned...you'll find drugs back there somewhere.

valiums

seeds

leaves

bags

roaches

apparently 2002s aren't "flashy" enough for coke users, though.

Paul Wegweiser

Guest Anonymous

I did the sound insulation job this past winter and here's a tip from my experience: don't get too carried away, like I did, with the insulation on the metal behind the rear seat. Too much will prevent the seat back from fitting back in snugly.

If I were going to do it again, I'd keep replacing the rear seat back after each few pieces of insulation were attached, until it no longer fit and then remove the most recent additions of insulation. Insulation does a nice job of quieting things down... along with removing the ANSA exhaust and replacing the stock muffler (and installing a five speed for Interstate driving). Good luck.

Roger

'72 Malaga

Good tips for doing mine in the future (also maybe I'll change my Ansa muffler back to stock aka Roger).

Re: Astray cleaning. I used Mother's metal polish cream on the chrome trim with excellent results.