O2guy

trunk well covers

11 posts / 2035 viewsLast Reply

Gotta couple of ?'s Is the original vinyl available anywhere? Couldn't find it on Max. Best attachement method - vinyl to wood (spray, roll-on). If I wanted to cut new wood, what would work best?

Many thanks all,

Jim

the vinyl was available a month or 2 ago. not sure now but most likely is.

i used 1/4 inch birch plywood and sealed it with a couple coats of poly. then 3m spray adhesive with staples on the back side. works good lasts a long time

I'm redoing my trunk starting with removing the roofing tar or driveway sealer a PO applied to all of the metal. I've test stapled using 1/4" staples some luan covered with vinyl and had the staple points almost poke through. Did you apply some sort of shim around the perimeter of the panels? I'm also having trouble finding a wingnut to hold the spare down. Our local BMW dealer claims it's NLA. Ideas? TIA

For the wingnut check with someone like Carl Nelson, La Jolla Independent

800/466-8184.

Bob Napier

I'm redoing my trunk starting with removing the roofing tar or driveway sealer a PO applied to all of the metal. I've test stapled using 1/4" staples some luan covered with vinyl and had the staple points almost poke through. Did you apply some sort of shim around the perimeter of the panels? I'm also having trouble finding a wingnut to hold the spare down. Our local BMW dealer claims it's NLA. Ideas? TIA

YES , i took strips of the same vinyl and doubled it over and used them as strips to take up a bit of length. if done neatly it looks good. not that anyone would ever see it but still

ought2,are you sure you need a wingnut. I'm pretty sure that some 02s used a spare lug nut to hold down the washer that holds down the spare tire.

Washer? I don't have that either. All I have is a threaded rod in the tire well and a threaded rod for the jack. Does anyone have a photo of what it should look like? Someone has also stated that the spare had a dish nut. Maybe I should just carry "spare in a can" ...