02Les

Info req'd - cars with no VIN plates

6 posts / 1215 viewsLast Reply

My parts car (2742067) seems to have left the factory with no VIN plate and the colour sticker in its place. There are no rivet holes to show it was ever there. I have noticed pics of other cars that are also missing the VIN plate, and they are all late '75/early '76 manuf cars.

If anyone out there has one of these cars (237XXXX/239XXXX/274XXXX) please email me details.

THX

lescartwright at juno dot com

My 76 has no vin plate either, the vin is stamped on the right side of the engine compartment ( top of the fender). My 75 has a vin plate.

I had a 75 model year parts car (dont recall VIN) I got from a junk yard in Rhode Island that from what I could tell was a US spec car that was euro delivery or something due to a german language "call this number for assistance while in europe" type sticker under the trunk lid. Sahara with no vin plate, no rivet holes, factory original paint and the sticker in the spot. It was really odd.

Both my ' 75 and my wife's ' 76 have riveted VIN plates.

Bob Napier

My 76 h as the VIN plate rivited to the cover between the steering wheel and the dash. That caused a lot of head scratching at the DMV. The VIN is also on the drivers door.

Collin in Scottsdale

My parts car had the VIN stamped on the passenger side, and the tiny VIN plate on the steering top cover, but no regular VIN plate.

I am interested in knowing the VIN of the cars that are missing the regular VIN plate to see if it was a batch of cars that would point to a VIN plate supply problem that BMW may have had for a month or so.

Please email me if you don't want to post your VIN here.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, it affects 274XXXX (particularly) and some 239XXXX & 237XXXX VINs.

[email protected]