jgerry2002

Testing a Tii warmup regulator...

5 posts / 1358 viewsLast Reply

Just an FYI, I tested this used warmup regulator/warm up transmitter/enrichment circuit just like a thermostat.

I used some near boiling water (perhaps 195F-200F) to check the operation of the regulator.

Note the movement of the piston/spring/washer when its warm.

When they wear out, the piston ends up sunken in, rather than level with the body as is seen in the picture of it on the counter.

post-69-13667591537601_thumb.jpg

post-69-13667591538589_thumb.jpg

Are those pampered chef tongs you are using? Sorry, sometimes the chef in me and the '02 freak get a bit mixed up. Good tip!

For my own curosity, what problem/symptoms were you having that caused you to check it? Or was it just a FYI?

Thanks

What is the problem with the regulator you tested?

I wouldn't call it bad if it is not reaching the fullest extent of travel, until you disassemble and clean it. If it is bad it will be quite noticeable when you get it apart. I have found that if they deflect out of the housing when warm that they are usually still functional after a cleaning and adjustment of the threaded shaft.

My current warmup regulator on my car does not seem to operating correctly, my mixture seems to be either rich or lean and does not stay where its supposed to after checking it with a CO meter. My cold start is also horrible with hardly any idle (thermotime switch is fine... my cold start injector sprays as it should). I've swapped injectors, linkage has new ends, all the intake seals are new, and everything is torqued to spec too.

I've also baselined the system per the manual and double checked all measurements too.

In this case, this particular warmup regulator came off a pump/motor that has sat around for probably over 10 years. It looked clean, but I wanted to test it to make sure it was ok... which it is.