MrNvgtr

Carbon fiber airbox options

18 posts / 1781 viewsLast Reply

Who make all the carbon fiber airboxes out there for a twin side-draft/ITB setup? Is it pretty much anything that fits an S14? Thanks. I need to source one and would like to see all the options out there at once.

The best solution for an S14 would be the usual S14 CF airbox, or also available in black fiberglass from JedM3 on S14.net as who cares nowadays for CF. It is so far-fetched he, he...

I have a fiberglass unit from JedM3 which I will need to slightly modify to clear the master cylinder. Expect to pay high $$$ to get Germany's John CF boxes as the US dollar is worth nothing these days.

Lee

Thanks Lee. Although for everyone, let me clarify. I just did some more research and it looks like most of the ones that I've seen in the past were for M2 (S14) applications.

With that said, TWM makes their own, and since that is the intake system I'm most likely going with, I might just use their airbox for simplicity sake. However, I wonder what else is out there.

Oups, sorry I have missread your initial post. My mistake. As you know I used to produce a CF or FG airbox at a very decent price but stopped making them as my supplier couldn't respect established deadlines. Looking back at those years, I have seen much worst lately. Unless I can do one last batch including at least 10 units, I doubt I will make anymore of them.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v668/Lee_Vuong/The%20Parts%20Factory/?start=340

Yup. 8 inches S14 horns fit inside the box.

DSCF0140.jpg

Alright then, lol, lets do it.

1. MrNvgtr (assuming the holes can be modified slightly for different airhorns/diameters)

Lee- assuming at least 10 people are in- do you have a rough idea on price? Also what are you planning to do in terms of filtration? My wife will shoot me if I take all the tea strainers...... haha.

PS- did you get my email- re: cam block off plate? Drop me a line.

Pete

Holes in the mounting plates are 45mm. The airboxes will accomodate Tii boosters. Not sure about regular ones. I can mix a production of CF with FG units.

Hi Pete

Three years ago a CF box was about $350-$400. Nowadays with the much lower US currency, I figure I have to offset its decline by raising prices by 1/3. People who pit their name on a the list don't have to commit. I just want if the interest is there. As for filtration, everyone will need to be creative and let others what they did.

Yup. I got your email and the parts will be shipped on Wednesday. Parts are your original distributor housing, Tii caliper spacers and one free S14 block-off plate. Thanks for helping me on this project.

Lee

Lee - Count me in definitely even with a price increase. As long as those holes can be enlarged to up to 50 mm (haven't decided on the size yet) then I'm good to go.

Michael, unless you run a 3 litre 4 banger, you will not need 50mm ITBs. Think of that. A 45mm throttle body is like a 50mm carb with 45mm chokes... That's huge. So, a 45mm throttle body is most likely what you need.

Lee

This is the project I am working on but have put on hold to get the car its going on running (MS project taking longer than I hopped, stuck with some ignition/EDIS problems causing it not to start)

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,302917/highlight,/

Its unbuilt/untested, but with interest I would re-start work on it to get some made.

Bryan

red73

Very nice work. Let us know how that project progresses.

Lee

1. MrNvgtr (assuming the holes can be modified slightly for different airhorns/diameters)

2. MrNvgtr

I'm interested, but partial to Lee's because its been done and I've seen real life photos of it.