• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hello (nt)

autobon7

My name is Morgan and I'm a 42 year old total newb to the 2002. I have a 70 automatic that I'm really excited about. Don't have much experience past basic tune up stuff but am willing to learn which brings me here. Today I pulled front and back seats as they are shot. I think it must have been a squirrel/mouse hotel at one point, the smell is awful. Also need to address weak brakes. Can't get it to lock up in gravel=bad. Just had a shop go through the trans a couple weeks ago and noticed a nice puddle of fluid on the floor today, damn it. Just feeling overwelmed at the moment and looking for a little encouragement. By the way my car is basically in need of everything as it's dried up, frozen, rusted, stuck, stinks, broken, & cracked. (and my wallet contains dust bunnys). Sorry for the long winded intro.......great site. BTW, anyone close to St Louis, MO?

1995 Toyota Landcruiser

1975 2002A

1989 Dodge Raider (sold)

1974 Toyota Landcruiser (very sadly sold)

1994 BMW 530i (sold)

1992 BMW 325i (sold)

1970 2002 auto sunroof (sold)

Well good luck! This board is certainly a good place to start.

I'd say, before you pull it out of the driveway again, do a proper brake system flush as the brakes on your 02 are supposed to be MUCH better than that and most of us preach safety first!

Matthew

Chastity: the most unnatural of sexual perversions.

74 tii, 99 BMW R1100R, 99 E320, 01 S4 Avant

Would be interested in knowing the VIN on your car. There were very few automatics built in 1970; in fact I dont' think I've run across one before.

As for your mouse motel back seats. If you're gonna reuse the horsehair padding, suggest you take the seats out of the car, set 'em out in the sun with the padding side up and spray with Fabreze. I had the same problem with an otherwise serviceable back seat from a parts car and a couple of days of sun/Fabreze treatment did the trick.

Also clean out the space under the seat with a vacuum cleaner, wipe down with bleach and then spray with Fabreze and let it air out for a few days. No more mouse smell.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

The vin # is 2531697. I would like to install diff front and rear seats, just have not found em yet.

1995 Toyota Landcruiser

1975 2002A

1989 Dodge Raider (sold)

1994 BMW 530i (sold)

1992 BMW 325i (sold)

model run (2531022-2532125). If you e-mail Mobile Tradition (check Archives for address) and quote your VIN, they can tell you your car's exact assembly date.

FYI early automatics are pretty rare cars; the production percentage of automatics was pretty small, and many were converted to stick or to five speeds. In fact, the factory didn't build any USA automatics at all in 1971, so they must have had a pretty good stock of unsold 70s...

Good to hear of a survivor.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Big noob mistake!!! After stripping the interior and feeling ok with what I found (minimal rust) I thought I'd move on to the trunk. You all know where this is going------damn it! After removing all the tar there it was, staring me in the face----rust!! Quite a bit. Terminal I'm sure of it. Now the big question is what to do. The bad part about it I invested $1800 having the auto tranny gone through. I paid $750 for the car. Now what? Just totally frustrated, I didn't do my homework BEFORE the purchase.

1995 Toyota Landcruiser

1975 2002A

1989 Dodge Raider (sold)

1994 BMW 530i (sold)

1992 BMW 325i (sold)

It might not be as terminal as you think, depending on the location of the rust. Post up some pics here and I'm sure you will get many knowledgeable people to help you decide whether it's still a keeper or not.

Good Luck,

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290

The rust is in both shock towers. Passenger side is real bad. I will try to get some pics up this weekend. The idea of cutting my loses and parting this car out is tough. Will the auto trans interchange with later models? The rear fender wells are rusted/tarred up as well as the drivers side sill and passenger side frame rail. Theses areas I was aware of. Having the trans gone through is what's killing me on this deal. Hope other potential owners/noobs can learn from my mistake. Beware of what lies behind tar.

1995 Toyota Landcruiser

1975 2002A

1989 Dodge Raider (sold)

1994 BMW 530i (sold)

1992 BMW 325i (sold)

Sorry pic quality is not better.

post-13147-13667591681346_thumb.jpg

post-13147-13667591682241_thumb.jpg

post-13147-13667591683089_thumb.jpg

1995 Toyota Landcruiser

1975 2002A

1989 Dodge Raider (sold)

1994 BMW 530i (sold)

1992 BMW 325i (sold)