bmking

engine swaps

18 posts / 4086 viewsLast Reply

what would be the most powerful engine to fit inside my 2002?? i heard the e30 m3 engine is perfect but other than that what are my choices?? and where would i find one and what else would it require?? thank u

13b rotary turbo from a Mazda RX7. They can do many hundreds of hp.

Best BMW option is the e30 M3 engine, which is an easy swap.

Anything is possible with enough welding wire and determination, so it might be better if you set out:

- do you want a BMW engine

- what $$$ are you prepared to spend

- can you fabricate. Will you fabricate

- what is the HP goal, and why

Guest Anonymous

I'll let you know how the 13b turbo is...

I'm just about to pluck the m10 from the car.

From personal experience, the M20 is a great engine swap. It doesn't ruin the handling that some say it "might". Many with this opinion have no experience to draw from. Instead I'd say that it transforms the car.

The M20 swap won't require much to fabricate but if you're doing it yourself a welder, a bunch of tools are required. If you are willing to take on this type of project I figure you have some aptitude with your hands. Plenty of time and a two car garage worth of space is a must. Motor mounts are available, but has supply problems when sourcing a transmission.

There is no "best" engine.

There are only engines that best fit your wants/needs/goals

Who has the link to that 2002 with the twin cam, twin turbo big six M motor in it?

Well over 300 hp, is that enough for you?

Oh yea I forgot, that thing must have $50,000 or more in work on it.

So as they say, how fa$t do you want to go $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$?

For the millionth time, it's not an M motor. Its an M54 from an e46 330i. And I bet an M54 could swapped into a '02 for less than $5k. Oh and its ~45 lbs lighter than a M20.

For the millionth time, it's not an M motor. Its an M54 from an e46 330i. And I bet an M54 could swapped into a '02 for less than $5k. Oh and its ~45 lbs lighter than a M20.[/quote

Whatever!

wow. too much information lol. well camB about that 13B i figure that would be sort of hard to find especially one with low miles and not only that but i heard rotarys are bad on gas and they burn oil. other than that yea i would prefer a BMW engine and i'm not really looking for crazy HP just something fun but still cheap (although a lot of power would be nice). and i really don't know which ones the M10 or M20 are. so the M54 is the E46 330i motor?? that sounds amazing haha but no clue where i would get one of those

I have a m42 in mine.....1.8L from a e30 318is

It does not make HUGE power but I am very happy with its simple 145hp and efi and very quick to rev.

I would say the m20 swap is one of the best bang for your buck swaps. Other than sourcing a 323 trans for the swap. But you can use other transmissions. It just takes a little more fabracation and you will need a electric speedo, which is no big deal.

i really don't know which ones the M10 or M20 are

Why are you asking about engine swaps when you don't even know what motor is in your car currently?

i'm an imports guy but a couple of my cousins did 2002 projects n i currently drive a 2006 325i so i'm a lil in the BMW scene but i'm trying to learn more. right now it's got an E20 2.0 but i was wondering which ones r the M10 n M20 n was wondering if the M54 is the E46 330 engine. thank you. also, i'm not too sure but the E30 M3 engine is the S14 if i am correct?? right?? cuzz that's what i'm looking into. n it's a 2.5 right??

i'm an imports guy but a couple of my cousins did 2002 projects n i currently drive a 2006 325i so i'm a lil in the BMW scene but i'm trying to learn more. right now it's got an E20 2.0 but i was wondering which ones r the M10 n M20 n was wondering if the M54 is the E46 330 engine. thank you. also, i'm not too sure but the E30 M3 engine is the S14 if i am correct?? right?? cuzz that's what i'm looking into. n it's a 2.5 right??

we all started out not knowing anything and some of us still dont so dont feel bad. the m54 is an e46 6cyl, you are correct. not a great choice for an 02 but its been done. m20 is the single cam 6 cyl from the e30 and comes in a few versions. the i motor seems to be the choice for swaps. the s14 is the twin cam 4cyl motor from the e30m3 and is a good albeit expensive choice for a swap. its a 2.3 in stock form and a 2.5 in evo form altho lots of guys stroke their 2.3's to 2.5. best bang for your buck is probably an m20 swap. fast and lots of torque but the s14 is really fun wound up and is very civilized around town

you should swap in an M10, light and rock solid with lots of torque.

thanks blunt really appreciate that. ya the M54 isn't really an option i'm sure that's expensive n probably hard 2 find. i think i'm just gonna go wit the S14 but wat the hell is stroking?? is it the same as boring?? because i've only heard of boring and all i know about it is that it somehow increases displacement but no idea how so if anyone could explain i'd really appreciate that and KFunk i still don't know what the M10 is lol. but thnx a lot so far guys