• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blown Motor....

This weekend WEnt on a drive with An STI WRX, and Lancer EVO MR

Proved that 2002tii's are just as fast around corners, and twisty roads.

Disproved that they are as reliable. After about 2-3 hours Driving about 4000 RPM my motor decided a Rod bearing just wasn't worth hanging on to, therefore massive knock, and soonly destroyed motor.

JP told me if the crank is not in good shape im going to need a new motor.

Almost all of my time, and money is spent toward this car, so I am completely devastated, and on the verge of tears.

Tommorow I will be inspecting the crank, and seeing how much my wallet will be crying, or if my car will be lucky to get some NEW HOPPED up motor. Hopefully it wont lead my bank account to be suicidal.

Im still thinking about what are my best options in terms of IF i have to get a new motor. Im thinking more POWER + rev limiter heh.

well we saw this coming last week :: with your thread about

you driving your budds SubyDuby and wished you could find

a magic wand to wave 3-times over your vintage beater so

it could run circles around the JapInvasion.

you say ...."Almost all of my time, and money is spent toward this car, so I am completely devastated, and on the verge of tears"

I can just see the beating you gave your car

chasing the budds while they sucked you in -

and their grins when they realised your poor

cars death.

I'll leave it at that.

no , I cant.........

Maybe , possibly, you just learned something about 30+ year old

machinery.

Maybe instead of the motor giving up - something in the steering or

drive train failed and you would'nt be able to type out your story.....

I'm just trying to be positive with you - and maybe not now - but many cars from now the light might come on and you'll think back.

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Morgan,

Keep your chin up. You can rebuild this motor. Just be patient.

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti

CD is right.

However what ya NEED to build is an M10 with an S14 crank in it.

Contact Eric Kermen EDK@aol.com I think.

Good luck and keep the faith.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

I admit I pushed the car pretty hard, but I only overrevved to 7K once on a downshift. And I am thankful for not crashing, because it was a hell of a drive. But I was pushing the car, but it is a sports car, that is meant to be driven, not a garage queen. Although it is a hard experience, I have been sucking in Tons of information from Jp, and am quite confident with the knowledge I have recieved about 2002s. This is only a step in my direction towards the Ultimate TII.... ok a little cheesy, just trying to lighten myself up.

(RANT)

the reason I became so internally emotional was because it was a release from an experience I had this year. I was a top ranked wrestler in california and i had a septic infection that caused me to go in for emergency surgery the week before state> the car was my release from all of my emotion buildup preventing me from achieving a state title>

(end rant)

i get a kick out of proving people wrong when it comes to whatever they have to say. and this weekend it was that newer cars perform much better. it was fun. and mybe even worth it. But I am still alive, because I inspect my car weekly at A1 imports, too bad I could not see the rod bearings :-P

heard good things about kerman, but there are soem fully built motors with about 200 Hp for less that 3.5k, maybe even an S14, or M20 laying around. Not sure what Kerman charges for 200+ Hp motors/rebuilds.

I disagree with CD's point about old machinery. We all know that once they are gone trough, they are just as safe on the road as any other car. If not, than those things should not be on the road anyway.

It's ridiculous to push the car to compete with the newer cars of the similar performance

I thing, if this thing spun a bearing, it probably was gonna happen anyway down the road but in a slower fashion....

68' 2002 DD

WELLL HELLL!!,

that sucks! i guess only time will tell if the wrx and lancer will even be around in 35 years, i seriously doubt it!! true these are cars to be driven but with some sense of what its limits are, like the man said " a man has gots to know his limitations", but dont let it bring you down, sounds like you are young and resorceful, you have time to Rebuild or get another engine, no biggie just knock it out and go get them punks!

i always wondered what the fiftytakedowns was all about.

let us know how the inspection turns out

cheers

FO 2573825

1971 2002, 5-OD, Recaro SE, BBK, 90Amp Alt, Turbines, VDO, Hellas, BD belts, LED Tails, 10 Foot DD

last as long as new, fresh ones. And especially if the old, tired motor is revved well beyond its redline.

Count yourself fortunate that you didn't ventilate your block with a rod...at least you can re-use the block. And crankshafts aren't hard to find in good condition. M10 cranks are pretty tough. Mine with over 200k showed "negligible wear" when the engine was pulled down for the first time for a rebuild.

So don't despair yet...You were ripe for an engine overhaul anyway, the schedule's just been pushed up a bit.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

He only over-reved to 7500 rpm once!!

Hey ya know you can buy or build a nice new engine from a low end of say $3,000 to whatever crazy amount you can spend to build an engine that will rev to 7500 rpm. Remember the engine only powers the wheels, make sure the drive train, steering, suspension, & brakes all match up to what the power demands.

75 2002: weber, ANSA, lowered, 14" wheels, new engine, new suspension, rust free & square.

I flog the crap out of the race car most weekends-

7600 rev limit (I try to shift at 7250, but the limiter lets me go higher,

and I do occasionally find myself using it)

DOT-R tires, 5er brakes and a few other things.

But not much beyond what BMW gave it in 1971.

A few mods to the crank and bearings. too...

However, in the oiling system, there's a temp gauge, cooler,

Accusump and both windage tray and baffles.

From tracking the street car,

IF a bearing went,

I'd guess you either ran out of oil, sucked air, or overheated the oil.

But that takes about 50% WOT- as in, your foot needs to be on the

floor fully half the time...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Thats right don't be ashamed cause at least you were able to enjoy your car and push it the way it should be driven. When you get the motor redone try it again and keep smilling.

Good luck...

Joey

(try making u turns on a very steep hill on motorycycle!!! up hill)