KFunk

Here's how to get an S14 style SR71X starter

4 posts / 1921 viewsLast Reply

This has been discussed a few times... Bosch has been calling both style starters by the same part number, SR71X. Sometimes you get the small one, and sometimes you get the big one. If instead you order a starter for an M3, it costs more money. I don't know if the smaller SR71X has the same torque as the M3 starter (SR440X?), but my concern is weight and room in the engine bay.

I just e-mailed AutohausAZ this message:

Dear Autohaus AZ,

I'd like to get a new starter for my 1974 BMW 2002, but there's some variation in the Bosch SR71X's I've found when ordering them in the past. Sometimes you receive a really large and heavy starter, and sometimes you get a very light and small bodied starter. The smaller ones include a note that says it may look very different, but it is an OEM authorized replacement. My current car is being used heavily for autocross, and losing extra weight is very important. I was wondering if you could look through the boxes, and send me one of the small bodied Bosch SR71X starters. If you could assure me of that, I'll quickly place the order. Give me a call at xxxxxxxxx if you need.

Thank you very much

They called me back, said they had one of the smaller size ones, and sent it right over:

starters.jpg

Thats also a Bosch SR71X at the top, and its more suitable for mooring larger sailling vessels. It was purchased a couple years ago, but I've got some issues with the solenoid and would rather just get a whole new unit.

I paid $90 for the new one, with free shipping, plus a $20 core charge. I'd have to pay to send the old one back, so it might not be worthwhile to try and get the core back, but I'll check.

My other approach was to ask at local shops to see if they had any Bosch SR71Xs in stock, and asked whether I could peek in the box to see if its the right one. None of the local shops had any in stock, and it would've been more expensive anyways.

Hey KFunk, I encountered a similar predicament w/ the two starter form factors sharing the same Bosch style number. I did a little research on the part numbers and came up with these results:

Original (big) M10 starter (SR40X): 12411269696

M10 Bosch replacement (SR71X): 12411466096

S14 Bosch replacement (SR440X): 12411466094

I think Autohaus AZ (as well as other retailers) may be interchanging the SR40X and the SR71X styles even though they look completely different. In contrast, the SR440X and SR71X styles appear very similar in size. I just picked up a SR71X over the weekend to replace my dead SR40X. The SR71X does have a couple of small bolts sticking out the front of the starter motor that might presumably attach to a bracket, however, from the photos I've seen, the the SR440X does not have such bolts. I'm happy about a smaller, lighter starter, but I'm a little concerned about the front of the starter being unsecured to the support bracket that attaches to the engine block. Do you know of a workaround?

im running s14 starters on both my cars with no front support. granted my m2 is new but ive had no issues on my 69 and thats been on there a good while

I'm a little concerned about the front of the starter being unsecured to the support bracket that attaches to the engine block. Do you know of a workaround?

I think someone on the forum (TobyB maybe?) found a factory bracket from an S14 and used that. Makes sense, since the S14 block should be similar.

But, I've yet to have an E30 M3 crash into my front yard, so I haven't located one. I'm still running without the bracket.

But as TobyB (i think) pointed out in one thread, there were some long-term bad effects of the starter wiggling out over time. So, I might try to find a bracket or re-drill my stock one to fit.