Sign in to follow this  
jafcorrea

Gas gauge don't work, any help how to fix?

10 posts / 1283 viewsLast Reply

Hi All,

My gas gauge don’t work well, only show full, any way I can fix or need to buy a new one.

Does anybody know what color wire is for the gas gauge if I go aftermarket for now.

post-12614-13667591022065_thumb.jpg

Guest Anonymous

is it the guage or the sender unit that is broken. Put an ammeter on the sender unit as you fill the tank and see if the amperage varies.

If the temp gauge is also dead, I'd definintely suspect a bad ground from gauge to body or sender unit to body--this is a common problem on '02s.

Suggest checking the archives for troubleshooting both the gauge and the sender unit. Several things are pretty easy to check before you go spending $$$ on new gauges.

cheers

mike

Hi Mike & Bill

On the gas tank I have 2 wires:

Brown /yellow and brown,

If I disconnect the brown /yellow the gauge don’t work,

How can I check the sender unit?

The temp gauge work fine

a PO has boogered up the wiring. The other wire at the gauge is the lead from the sender unit.

Pull up your trunk floor on the right side over the gas tank to expose the tank and sender unit. There should be a colored wire connected to the insulated terminal in the center of the sender; the uninsulated brown ground wire should also run to a common ground somewhere. To make sure it's not a ground problem at the sender, connect a ground wire from the sender unit's housing to a known good ground and now see if the gauge works. You should do the same at the gauge end too.

If you still have no gauge action, check the archives on troubleshooting the sender. The gauges themselves don't often poop out--if the problem isn't a bad ground and/or positive wire, it's usually the sender.

mike

Hi Mike

On the gas tank I have 2 wires:

Brownyellow and brown,

If I disconnect the brownyellow the gauge don’t work,

Thanks for the help

I had the same problem (fuel gauge pegged at full, but the temp gauge was fine) and after I ran another ground underneath the small slotted nut on the back of the fuel gauge (which, by the way, can be a real bitch to manipulate) the gauge has worked fine.

I had the same problem (fuel gauge pegged at full, but the temp gauge was fine) and after I ran another ground underneath the small slotted nut on the back of the fuel gauge (which, by the way, can be a real bitch to manipulate) the gauge has worked fine.

You ran another ground from the gas tank or

where on the back fuel gauge?

I had the same problem. I did the same thing. It had the same result.

backside to a convenient ground on the car's body. That usually cures the problem; if not, then you'll need to mess with the sender unit...

mike