Sign in to follow this  
Dugz02

Crank pulley: looking for access

9 posts / 999 viewsLast Reply

OK... this is half rant and half question.

I am trying to turn the crank so I can set the valves, but I can't find a way to get to the crank pulley. (Yes, I'm old school - doing it with big tools and strong arms - because that's how I've been doing it for 30 years.)

If I go at it from the top, I'm either looking at the alternator or the radiator hoses, with no room to get around any of those things. If I pick up the car enough to slide under the ground effects, I'm looking at the air conditioning compressor... but turning it from underneath is pointless because I can't test for TDC while I'm laying on my back, so I'm back to looking at the top and scratching my head.

Heck, I haven't even found the timing marks, yet. I simply can't see in there.

I'm sure somebody knows a way around this problem, but I haven't found it.

Any tips or techniques would be appreciated.

put the car in fourth gear ( hopefully its a standard shift ) and roll the car to where you need the valves. Timing marks are on the flywheel on top of the bell housing you'll see a hole

When I did mine I just pulled on the belt and it moved it over. Or you can bump it with the key and then fine tune move it by the belt. Then go buy a bump starter. Works great.

put the car in fourth gear ( hopefully its a standard shift ) and roll the car to where you need the valves. Timing marks are on the flywheel on top of the bell housing you'll see a hole

OK... you get the "Brute-Force Mechanic" award... and I mean that in a nice way.

When I did mine I just pulled on the belt and it moved it over. Or you can bump it with the key and then fine tune move it by the belt. Then go buy a bump starter. Works great.

The belts aren't turning it. I'll buy a bump starter. Until then, I'll push the car.

Thanks for the fast responses.

easier to roll the car, as is more accurate in positioning the valves for adjusting valves and points. I can do it with one hand when car is in fifth

I put tension on the belt ( by pushing down on it by hand) and turn the fan. No fuss no muss. Bumping with the starter or a remote push button never gets i where I want and running back and forth to put the car in gear and push it is too much work.....

I managed to adjust the valves by doing all of the above. Bumping the starter moved it too far too fast, and rolling it the right amount was hard on this slight incline, so I put it in gear and bumped the car with the starter. Ugly, but effective.

But it makes me wonder about the articles that say "put a wrench on the nut that's on the crankshaft pulley." I guess those persons mounted an electric fan on the front side of their radiator and failed to mention that.

I put tension on the belt ( by pushing down on it by hand) and turn the fan. No fuss no muss. Bumping with the starter or a remote push button never gets i where I want and running back and forth to put the car in gear and push it is too much work.....

Press belt, pull fan blade is my favorite method. I have had success with a 30mm socket on the crank pulley on my tii and standard '02, but never had AC. It's even easier if you remove the spark plugs first.

I've checked valve lash vs. the positioning of the cam lobes. Getting the lobes opposite the rockers by eye is close enough, you don't have to hit the timing mark perfectly every time. The back side of the cam lobe is circular so the clearance stays constant until the start of the lobe is reached.

The back side of the cam lobe is circular so the clearance stays constant until the start of the lobe is reached.

One of the articles I read stated that you can adjust intake and exhaust if you're on the TDC for that piston... immediately after the compression stroke... when both valves should be closed tight.