rabbit

Getting better MPG tips

12 posts / 1777 viewsLast Reply

Does any1 have any suggestions other than the tire pressure and tune up to obtain better gas milage on the o2's?

(side Note)

The UK has the 118d BMW which gets...

Urban (mpg) 52.3 (40.9)

Extra-urban (mpg) 70.6 (62.8)

Combined (mpg) 62.8 (52.3)

Not available in US. Why Not????

Not available in US. Why Not????

Two reasons that I can think of:

1. Emissions. All those high MPG Euro diesels wouldn't meet the stricter US standards for diesel engines. Not that they couldn't be made to, but it would cost big $$ and probably lower the mileage somewhat.

2. That doesn't seem to be BMW NA's target market. I used to accept this argument more when BMW wasn't whoring themselves out to every niche they could find or invent (i.e. the X6). Sorry, BMW, but there are people here in the US who have money, want a premium car and are interested in fuel economy.

The diesel BMW is bringing in the fall is too big and doesn't come with a manual transmission. Hopefully, they will see the light eventually.

Sorry, BMW, but there are people here in the US who have money, want a premium car and are interested in fuel economy.

The diesel BMW is bringing in the fall is too big and doesn't come with a manual transmission. Hopefully, they will see the light eventually.

You are so right! My wife's company CEO, has a house in Martha's Vineyard, and drives a Prius when he is in the West Coast, and not just to and from the airport. He goes visit other CEO's and drives 200 miles each way for business too.

VW makes a Golf diesel, which is or was available in 49 states (except in ,of course, CA), but you can "import" them into California from out of state. You can find them in CL all the time, but with a hefty markup from sellers.

We just went thru the futile exercise of finding a premium, fun, fuel efficient car (that excludes the hybrids at the moment), and we just couldn't find anything! We settled for the Rabbit (not you Rabbit, but the VW), which met the first two well, but for the third criteria "only" gets 31 combined.

I have driven the Golf diesel and the BMW 120d in Europe, and the BMW didn't make a lasting impression, not enough to justify the extra cost if it was ever sold in the US.

BMW is stuck on their old North America marketing paradigm, which has worked well for them. I believe they are probably developing something now that can fill that niche, but it would be something that THEY think it would sell on this market. I'd say 5 years we would see smaller rocket diesels with a Roundel.

Two suggestions to improve your gas mileage on your existing car by 25%:

Don't drive and if you do, try not to move your right pedal, it works!

How about this http://www.teslamotors.com/ ? Super fast, great mileage and probably decent handler. And it's available in CA. I don't know if they have actually sold any yet but just a touch on the pricey side. If you worked out the fuel cost over time the economics might just work.

I'm waiting for the first wreck to show up at a pick a part and maybe a transplant of the drivetrain in the Sahara might happen - someday.

I drive about 50-55k miles per year. My current vehicle is an Outback wagon. 2.5XT all wheel. 21 mpg. Big whoop, although when it is snowing on a Fri afternoon and I'm in Burlington VT or Bangor ME, and want to get nome, that car is outstanding. My problem is that when a turbo or supercharger is offered on a car I lose focus and have to have it. Well, it used to make sense.

My daughter who lives in LA is driving an 07 Civic LX. 39mpg on hwy and about 32 in town. I've run the numbers and with a modest down payment I can just about make the monthly payments for the car on fuel savings. I've been kinda waiting for the good Euro diesels but with die$el where it is at I am not so sure.

Many smaller diesel engines are still more economical in a $/mile sense. Even thought it might not seem that way at the pump, you're filling up less often.

those two will net you better fuel economy, tire pressure and tune up. you can also take out the excess avoirdupois as excess weight will decrease your economy.

but improved driving habits will get you the rest of the way.

these are from a hypermiling forum that i read a few weeks ago.

for fuel injected cars, this first one counts more than for carb'd cars.

start the car only after getting in, putting on your seatbelt, adjusting the mirrors and stereo, even checking the traffic to see if its clear to move off. time wasted idling is using your fuel.

coast more. get to cruising speed relatively quickly where you coast. you use more fuel accelerating and adding power (going up hills etc.) so the sooner you get to cruising speed, the more fuel you save. i read an article a long time ago about how the gearing in the eta engined cars (BMW 528e, 3228e etc) was deliberately more aggressive in the first two or three gears in order to get up to speed quicker.

coast to a stop. if you can see you are going to be stopping at a red light, no use driving all the way to it. stick her in neutral and coast to the stop. why "run to a standstill" to paraphrase U2.

stop less. when you are stopped you are getting zero miles per gallon.

which means time the lights. if you can get through all green lights you will use less gas than if you are stopped at one or two. slow down if you have to, if it means you will get to a green light when you get to the intersection.

if youre going to be stuck at a stop sign/ light for more than a minute turn off the engine. especially if the engine is still cold and hasnt reached its operating temperature. however, the caveat is that the car will use a little more gas at startup, so if you do this you must do it if you know that your stop is going to be a long one.

minimise start and stop driving. a slightly longer drive with no stops will be better on fuel than a shorter one that has more stops. i drive 15 miles on the freeway vs 12 miles on city streets going and coming from work.

drive smarter. this means if you're stuck in traffic, leave a large space in front of you and idle while everyone frantically accelerates and brakes with the traffic. sure you will get more people "cutting" in your lane, but it comes with the territory. you aren't going to get anywhere faster by accelerating when the traffic moves all of 40 feet. coasting/ idling that same 40 feet will get you there and use less fuel.

drive with the windows up. aero drag at speeds over about 40mph increases enough to impact fuel economy. at speeds lower than that the open windows wont affect the economy much. windows pretty much means sunroof as well.

use your AC minimally. AC uses more fuel. use the EC feature if you have it which cycles the compressor less frequently, and certainly use the recirculate function if it has one. you can use the AC intelligently if you're coasting to a stop for instance. turn it on, and turn it to max.

i turn mine on (in my 300E) when i'm at a stop. because mine is an automatic, turning it off and coasting to a stop is not really an option. so when i am stopped i stick her in neutral and turn on the AC then. coldest setting, max air, recirculate. by putting the car in neutral you are reducing it ever so slightly because the car is not working to overcome the brakes you also have your foot on.

as soon as you are parked turn the car off. then engage the handbrake, put it in park, etc.

some people even deliberately park so that they don't have to reverse out of parking spots. some even more extreme people will also park so that they don't have an immediate uphill drive when they come back to take off.

i'm using pretty much all these strategies in my daily driver and have been for several years. its working. driving smarter gets you better fuel economy than just getting a tuneup. even a prius can get lousy milage if you cane it everywhere you drive.

all of those ^^^^ are my natural habits. Efficiency and ease are the key here.

I can add these for the hardcore fuel savers

that carrying momentum through the corners, joyful and spirited driving with the 02. When safe, dont get me wrong.

Driving behind big trailer trucks on a long run is a little extreme - limits your visibility

I must say, I've been daily driving a turbo diesel 1981 Jetta, and it is an amazing car. I can drive the piss out of it and never dip below 40/mpg. Diesel costs a bit more at the pump, but will worth the difference. You can always run veggie oil and then drive for free!

Not sure about that "coast more" tip; when you slow down in gear, the car's momentum does a lot of the work of spinning the engine. When you're idling, the engine has to spin itself with fuel. Plus it's against the law in some places to not be under power for long periods of time while moving (I think this applies in either Washington or Oregon).

That article looks like it's from a woman's magazine. For fuel injected vehicles, it is a fact that coasting to a stop uses more fuel than leaving it in gear. That law also makes no sense. How is it the man's business what gear you are in? Not only that but how can they tell?