ClayW

H4 Questions

7 posts / 1127 viewsLast Reply

I noticed that one of my headlights is out and I'm considering the H4 conversion. I see a lot of "kits" on the eBay and such for a range of prices.

What should I be looking for? What price range should I expect?

h4rndconv.jpg

Thanks in advance.

the best; Hella and Bosch are also good. I'd be leery of the offbrands that come from India, China, etc. It doesn't take much manufacturing tolerance error to really diminish light output, beam distance etc and these low price far eastern lamps just aren't as good.

However...Japanese Stanley lamps seem to be pretty good.

mike

Make sure it's not for a RHD car.

Cris

If the lamps you refer to on ebay are the Autopals shown in the pic in your post, these seem to be a respectable, low price alternative to Hella lamps. Dunno if anyone has done a side-by-side comparison.

There is a science to lens and reflector configuration that can make a significant difference in light concentration and placement between different headlamps. The conventional wisdom is that Cibie is the best, but they are hard to find and expensive. I think the best choice from an availability, performance and price standpoint is Hella... I have them on my 02, and the light output using 55W bulbs with relays is greatly improved over US halogen sealed beams. Susquehanna seems to be the best source for Hellas.

Take a look @ this site. It's been recommended by people on this board.

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/7in.asp

Bob Napier

Yup...that's the place to go..."without a doubt" I have bought a set for both of my tii's there. He's a great guy to buy from. Sorry, I can't remember which wattage I have, but it's not overly powerful (not required).

Good move making the switch...you won't miss the sealed beams! :-)

John

Clay,

I have a used set in good condition with minor "blasting" from road grit, but no chips or stars. $65.00 shipped by USPS from Michigan. If you are interested email me at [email protected]