ingraham

Forum Search Questions (OCD outburst du jour)

4 posts / 1042 viewsLast Reply

The Forum Search page has two boxes for the entry of search terms and two radio buttons for choosing between searching for 'all' terms or 'any' term.

1. Why two boxes? Are they used differently?

2. The default radio button selection is 'neither'. Must one of them be selected?

3. If AND and OR can be used in the search terms box, what is the purpose of the radio buttons?

Hi Curt,

The second (lower) text entry box is for searching on author names. The first box is for text within the post and/or post title (there's radio buttons lower to specify which).

As for the top two radio buttons, the first is used A) if you use/enter ANY booleans in your search specification or B) of you don't and are OK with searching on each word separately. The B option acts identical to what you'd get if you put OR between each word. The second (lower) radio button makes the search act like a 'phrase' matching search versus a word matching search.

I think this is right - at least that's the way I use it. ;-)

HTH,

Tom

Curt, thanks for asking what I've been meaning to ask but just thought I just don't get it, it must be me.

Curt, your question is too logical, from a Boolean perspective.

I believe Tom has it right.