'ol_rusty

M10 Rebuild Options - Burning Oil

1 post / 716 viewsLast Reply

I am debating how to go about my engine rebuild. I drive a '75 '02 that I believe has bad rings so the time has come to start considering rebuild options. I recently replaced the valve seals, but just noticed a giant blue plume behind me as I drove down a long steep grade on the highway. Compression was around 120psi across all cylinders with some variation at the time of the valve seals. Is this an appropriate compression for a older (180,000mi) engine?

I am capable of assembling an engine from the block up, but do not have a sufficient manual for such a task (i.e. torque specs., etc.). Is there such a manual readily available??

I would like to have a quick street car when all is said and done. What is a good source for the smaller engine internals (such as bearings, oil pumps, chains, sprockets, etc.), the BMW Dealership?? I am looking to bump compression up, and use a mild cam, with mega squirt EFI.

Does anyone know a good source to get a good rebuild kit including pistons and such?

Also, I would like the head redone by a rebuilder, should I seek out a machine shop that specializes in M10 and similar rebuilds, or should a general (reputable) machine shop be able to do this and do it right.

Thank you for your input.