shipm_8

Fog and Driving Lights: Hella 181/160 vs OEM (old Hellas)?

17 posts / 4121 viewsLast Reply

I'm going through the closets prior to the move to the east coast, and I found some fog and driving lights I meant to install while in the Bay Area. Choices:

I have a set of OEM (pn 63171360393) front fog lights and a set of Hella 181s, and...

A set of OEM (pn 63171352802) front driving lights and a set of Hella Classic 160s.

What do you think is better....the old OEM ones or the new Hellas? Or none? I'm running 60/55 H4s on Marchals on the headlights, and never felt I needed more lighting while driving in California. But I know that the mid-Atlantic has different weather , including that white stuff that falls from the sky now and then.

I don't have to make a decision now since I probably won't have time to install before heading east, but your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

William

Hi,

I am very partial to the smaller chrome Hella's in the photo. I don't think the rectangular fog lights look as nice...

If you are driving through Austin, don't hesitate to stop by!

-Jason

Thanks, Jason. This time we will do a northern route, but on the way back ... definitely through Texas!

Best,

William

Thanks, Randy. Your post made me realize that the 63171352802 round OEM light is actually a fog light, not a driving light as I thought. The hella round lights on the picture are driving lights.

Ok, so down to either the round or the rectangular oem, it seems. Decisions, decisions...

William

well I hope you chose correctly (meaning what YOU like best) but to me the round hella 160's are awesome... take a look at mine that I just installed this sunday past.

post-10494-13667593285171_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I ended up not installing any, waiting to see if I would miss them on my cross country drive. I didn't, so I think I will hold off for now.

Do yours vibrate, or is the install pretty solid?

William

I have not driven it at night since sunday - keep it in the garage - but I do think that it will vibrate some... I am thinking that if it gets too bad I will think hard about it.

after fully installing them - yes they do vibrate... anyone have any suggestions to cut donw on the vibrations?

someone on this site was making mounts to help stop the shake. I can't remember who it was but there should be threads on it that can be searched.

try tilux aka Bob. He sometimes have brackets for lights that will keep you from drilling holes. I'm on the waiting list as I continue to ponder whether to make what Spanish speakers would call El Plunge and light the car up.

Ok, that was a bad joke. Seriously, try Bob. I've bought parts from him, and he's been good to me.

William

someone on this site was making mounts to help stop the shake. I can't remember who it was but there should be threads on it that can be searched.

not sure if you are thinking of me or not but i did this with my super oscars and they are rock solid. basically a couple ball joints that are adjustable on threaded rod. i covered the threaded rod with heat shrink and it seems to be holding up so far. they go thru the grilles without modification and attach to that tray thing

cibie007.jpg

I see you did it and the super oscars look great, but i have noticed some disdain in the posts for holing the bumpers. Mine are pristine but if the lights are there, does it really matter?

Those Hella 160 covers are so ugly you have to give them to me ASAP.

You can see my choice in my sig.

Hamada