Sign in to follow this  
Cruzr

Annodized grille scratches on nose

6 posts / 1089 viewsLast Reply

Took out the front grilles on my 73 to clean the nose and noticed how the grille has severely scratched the paint on the nose, specially the area around the headlights. Has anyone found an effective way of preventing the grilles from resting on the paint finish?

ive noticed this as well. if a guy could find the right closed cell foam in thin strips you might be able to fab something up but not sure thats a great idea either

Wasn't there someone (Bill W?) That put a gasket around the edge of the grills.

John

Guest Anonymous

I bought some small diameter (3mm or so OD) windshield washer hose at the auto parts supplier, carefully sliced it lengthwise, installed it over the raw edge of the center grill. I don't know how well it will stay put on the left and right grills. My car is still in pieces so I can't vouch for how it stands up to sunlight or other environmental issues. The hose is very soft and pliable (silicone?) and I believe it was used for 80's or 90's GM cars.

foam weatherstrip tape with adhesive on one side. It would be perfect for this application, as you could stick it either to the back side of the grille or the edge of the grille opening to serve as a cushion. As you tighten the grille screws and the thumb screw on the end, it'll compress and be invisible.

I've seen it in black too if your car is a dark color.

mike