JerryC

Rear Brake Hose R&R

6 posts / 1229 viewsLast Reply

On my tii, the rear brake hoses enter the trailing arm through a roughly 20mm dia hole. The solid brake line on the trailing arm looks like it starts from the far side of the trailing opposite the hose's entry point.

I may be dealing with the tii's boxed trailing arms, I don't have experience with standard trailing arms. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

How do I disconnect the brake hose from the solid line on the trailing arm? It looks like the hose will just spin inside the trailing arm when I go to loosen the nut on the hard pipe. The hose end is inside the trailing arm, and there doesn't seem to be any way to get a wrench on it. Is there a special tool for this? The hose won't fit through a deep socket, and I don't think the deep socket would be long enough to reach the back side of the trailing arm anyway.

The repair manual CD states, "Detach brake hose" - not much help there.

Hope I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill, but the disassembly method isn't obvious to me.

I do know that there's a flare fitting at both ends of the flex hose which is held in place with a clip, so by turning the flare fitting you can unscrew it from the hose, but I'd also like to know any tricks for accessing those fittings without dropping the rear subframe. I'm facing the same job on my '69--those 39 year old hoses are making me a little nervous...

mike

the flex hose fits into. The captive nut should not let the flex hose spin on removal or installation. I should have taken the picture before I put the flex hose in. Maybe next time.....

Rearflexline10.jpg

I just replaced all of my brake lines a few months ago. Removal of the rears is easier than installation. For removal, take a sharp knife and cut the rubber lines, as close to the fitting as possible. Then, you should be able to slip a deep socket in there. I used a flare wrench on the other side (on the flare nut), and was able to break it loose.

For installation, obviously you can't use the deep socket trick. I was able to tighten the fittings enough between the use of my flare wrench and some stubby wrenches to get everything set. It doesn't seem like you have a lot of room (you don't), but with some patience, it's possible. Mine's been in place for a few months now, and I don't have massive brake fluid leaks.

Ken

Sounds like another "Just get in there and do it" scenario. OK, that's what I'll do.

I was thinking of drilling out a deep impact socket and grinding wrench flats on it, but it sounds like that may not be necessary. The tool may take longer than the job. Then again, that's pretty typical. The tool is supposed to shorten the job.

I just put steel braided lines on front and rear. Cutting the hose up close to the fitting and using a deep socket is the best way to get them off. To reintall, I used a 3/8 ratchet, 6" extension and the appropriate sized crows foot to get into the subframe. On the hard line, I used a combination wrench and it all worked fine. It is a bit tight and you may have to perfect your yoga techniques, but it can be done fairly easily.