jon

wiper mechanism repair question

8 posts / 1790 viewsLast Reply

The 'wiper shaft pivot' broke. Do I have to take out the entire mechanism to install the new part?

Yup.

Broke? Or wore out?

It's a fiddly job, but it's not impossible.

t

The male splined part (the part that the wiper arm attaches to) separated from the shaft on the passenger side. The wiper arm is no longer fixed; it flops around. I ordered what is called a "wipershaft pivot right" for $41. My take is that I will have to disconnect all the mechanism from the wiper motor and from the sheetmetal to be able to install the new part. Does that sound right?

yeah... your procedure sounds right...

but I think that the end of it's rivetted or peened over...

I don't remember any bolts on that assembly, and I've looked,

because they lack a provision for any sort of lubrication.

So they tend to wear out.

t

You are right - there is no bolt and nut. I also looked for some kind of clip, but did not feel it. I will find out how it is put together when I get the mechanism away from the car where I can see it.

It must come apart, otherwise why would they only the so-called wipershaft pivot and not require you to buy what it attaches to?

Yeah, agreed-

I bet you get to file the

old one off, then secure the new one

by flattening over its end with a hammer!

I've never taken one that far apart...

t

Job done. Replaced wipershaft pivot. Good news: all pivots snap together, no filing, no rivets. Bad news: Yes, it is a fiddly job. You have to remove the whole mechanism from the car. I think a shop would charge 2 hours minimum, maybe 3 or 4.

I just managed to replace the right pivot arm with the mechanism in the car. It was fiddly but by no means impossible.

This is for people who find this through search (like I did):

Look at the pictures here, zoom in on them if you can:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,315874/highlight,wiper/

Put your wipers at 90 degrees from park (all the way up) and turn off the car, they stay. This gets the part in a position you can work on it.

The live end of the arm is just pressed together, no circlip. A big blade stubby screwdriver took mine apart.

The static end of the arm is held to "that other tube" by a nut. Get the outside nut off, the easy part. Put your handy pocket-sized channel locks to use and hold the middle nut while you turn the nut attached to the pivot arm. This is the sort of fiddly part.

IMPORTANT: The middle nut and a brass washer are trapped in between the bodywork of the plenum and that tube you're trying to free the pivot arm from. Don't even try to remove them, leave them right where they are. Once you get the pivot arm out friction will hold them in place (on my car anyway) and a screw driver through the hole makes sure they don't slip out.

Use thread lubricant and put your new pivot shaft in. This is the really fiddly part. Points off for cursing. Put the outside nut and it's washer back on.

Grease the press fitting, press the live end of the arm back together (6in channel locks again), park the wipers, reinstall arm and it's done.