FJDLLC

Braided SS brake lines

9 posts / 1740 viewsLast Reply

Do the Braided lines make much of improvement? Or should I get OEM lines? If the braided lines are better is there a good source?

I think that they do, you get much firmer peddle feel. I have installed them on several car now and have been very happy. Just installed a set from Ireland on my 02, they were $80 or $90 dollars fro the 6 piece set, can't be much more then OEM.

I agree, the SS lines make all the difference! I just finished putting them on my Touring and they give you way better pedal feel and more responsive braking (at least to me). Ireland is where i got mine from too.

consistantly noted as one of the best simple upgrades for improved performance vs cost/difficulty. I did mine and the pedal felt much firmer ever since. And once you do it it is almost a permanent improvement. Also bought IE lines for less than $80 around 5 years ago.

When I did the lines on my M635, braided lines were substantialy less than OEM from the dealer. Great quality and better stopping. I got mine from Mesa Performance, just another good source for you to check.

Thanks for the advice. I ordered them from IR still $80.00. My original lines just might be original.

In the late 80's when we were selling a ton of Gr. N parts for the E30 M3 direct from BMW Motorsport, I asked them about SS lines. The answer was that they did not recommend them for "street cars" because SS lines would not allow enough back pressure out of the caliper and hence could cause the piston seals to bust. So, vorsicht if you are using them on 10+ year old calipers !!

HTH,

Max

Maximillian

www.bmwmobiletradition-online.com

huh.

That's a new one!

t

Although I haven't compared them side-by-side on the same car in the same day, my thoughts are that most folks replace brake lines when there is a problem with the originals (either age or failure). Anything new is going to feel much better mostly because they are new and less because of the type. As an example I replaced my original lines with all new OEM a few years back and they feel great. Just another perspective.

Honestly, if they are only $80, I would go SS too, because "why not". I think my motivation for the rubber lines at the time was more toward originality.

My 2 cents!

-Jason