• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Braided SS brake lines

FJDLLC

Do the Braided lines make much of improvement? Or should I get OEM lines? If the braided lines are better is there a good source?

1975 BMW 2002 Amazonas Grun mit Sonnendach

1999 BMW K1200LT

1966 MB 230SL crushed

2006 Audi A6

2002 Audi TT 255

I think that they do, you get much firmer peddle feel. I have installed them on several car now and have been very happy. Just installed a set from Ireland on my 02, they were $80 or $90 dollars fro the 6 piece set, can't be much more then OEM.

1975; 2002

1995; 318ti

2004; 330i ZHP

I agree, the SS lines make all the difference! I just finished putting them on my Touring and they give you way better pedal feel and more responsive braking (at least to me). Ireland is where i got mine from too.

1972 "Canadian spec" Polaris 2000tii Touring

1969 Chamonix 2000 A

consistantly noted as one of the best simple upgrades for improved performance vs cost/difficulty. I did mine and the pedal felt much firmer ever since. And once you do it it is almost a permanent improvement. Also bought IE lines for less than $80 around 5 years ago.

75 2002: weber, ANSA, lowered, 14" wheels, new engine, new suspension, rust free & square.

When I did the lines on my M635, braided lines were substantialy less than OEM from the dealer. Great quality and better stopping. I got mine from Mesa Performance, just another good source for you to check.

Original Owner, Malaga 1973 tii, unrestored.

1985 Euro M635, Cinnabar, fast and fun!

2003 325i, Alpine White

2007 530i Sport, Titanium Silver

2000 Tundra LTD, White, Daily driver

2011 Audi A3 TDI, White, son's new car!

Thanks for the advice. I ordered them from IR still $80.00. My original lines just might be original.

1975 BMW 2002 Amazonas Grun mit Sonnendach

1999 BMW K1200LT

1966 MB 230SL crushed

2006 Audi A6

2002 Audi TT 255

In the late 80's when we were selling a ton of Gr. N parts for the E30 M3 direct from BMW Motorsport, I asked them about SS lines. The answer was that they did not recommend them for "street cars" because SS lines would not allow enough back pressure out of the caliper and hence could cause the piston seals to bust. So, vorsicht if you are using them on 10+ year old calipers !!

HTH,

Max

Maximillian

www.bmwmobiletradition-online.com

Maximillian Importing Company

www.bimmer.com

800-950-2002

classicbmwparts@gmail.com

Although I haven't compared them side-by-side on the same car in the same day, my thoughts are that most folks replace brake lines when there is a problem with the originals (either age or failure). Anything new is going to feel much better mostly because they are new and less because of the type. As an example I replaced my original lines with all new OEM a few years back and they feel great. Just another perspective.

Honestly, if they are only $80, I would go SS too, because "why not". I think my motivation for the rubber lines at the time was more toward originality.

My 2 cents!

-Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, sunroof, A/C, 5spd OD, 3.91 LSD, etc. Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   --> If you need an Alpina A4 tuning manual, PM me!