• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cross-country trip preps -- what to carry?

shipm_8

My wife and I are relocating from San Francisco to Northern Virginia and, of course, we are driving the '72tii. Planning on ten days.

Any spare parts you recommend we carry, other than the cell phone, credit card and AAA membership card? This is the list I have assembled from looking through past posts:

• alternator belt

• dist cap, rotor, points & condenser

• duct tape

• electrical tape

• electrical wire

• fix a flat

• fuel filter

• fuel line, 1m

• fuel pump

• gas cap

• hose clamps: fuel & radiator hoses

• injection pump belt

• lug nut

• oil filler cap

• oil filter and crush ring

• parachute cord

• Radiator cap

• radiator coolant (50%)

• radiator hose, upper

• spare bulbs/fuses/screws/etc

• spark plugs W7DC, wire

• windshield washer

• wiper inserts

I know...carrying the above will ensure I will never need it. Thanks for the help. Man, we'll miss California. At least they have Trader Joe's in Virginia.

William

post-2996-13667590852182_thumb.jpg

72 BMW 2002tii Inka, Tip Top

92 BMW 318ic, Wolfgang

07 Mini Cooper, MC

72 BMW 2002tii Malaga - stricken

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks like you covered all the parts, dont forget some tools! should be a fun Drive across the country. with all them parts and tools will you be towing a trailer as well?

BY the way what is the condition of the engine and trani now? if it is tip top i suspect all you will really need is gas and quart of oil.

have fun

FO 2573825

1971 2002, 5-OD, Recaro SE, BBK, 90Amp Alt, Turbines, VDO, Hellas, BD belts, LED Tails, 10 Foot DD

good point! I'll need space for the luggage! Transmission and engine are ok, but will get the car checked out before we head out. Really excited about the trip--have done cross countries, but always from/to San Diego, so this is the first time we are doing a northern route.

Here is the list of tools that are probably reducing my mileage by 20% with all the weight:

• air compressor

• bottle jack

• elastic cargo ties

• flashlight & batteries

• funnel

• gas container

• hammer, ball peen, 10”

• jumper cable

• knife/leatherman

• leather gloves

• maintenance manual

• multimeter

• pliers, adjustable, 12”

• pliers, needle nose, 6”

• side cutters, 6”

• pry bar (small)

• safety goggles

• screwdrivers (flat, Phillips)

• shovel

• socket set, 3/8 drive

• tire chock

• tire-pressure gauge

• vice grips

• wire strippers/cutter

• wrench, adjustable

• wrench, spark plug

• wrenches, combination 6-17mm

• car duster

• hex key for mirrors

72 BMW 2002tii Inka, Tip Top

92 BMW 318ic, Wolfgang

07 Mini Cooper, MC

72 BMW 2002tii Malaga - stricken

sounds pretty good! Don't forget a fire arm and ammo, your buffalo skins and at least 10 lbs of jerky and/or smoked salmon.

and matches and candles. You can get a fire started even in the snow with a good candle... oh and a knife and a chainsaw or at least an axe, and a first aid kit and water purification tablets .. and don't forget to bring some obsidian to trade with the natives .. and shells from the ocean. That might get you passage through the mid west.

best of luck!!

A few things:

1. Welcome to the area, looking forward to having another 02er in the area.

2. Good to see someone who knows when to use "ensure" and not "insure"

3. Think about spare injector lines.

4. You may want to have telephone numbers of 02ers along your route or the Friends of BMW booklet.

In 2002 several of us drove from the east coast to Colorado in four days and four of us drove home in two days. Only "adjustments", both ways, were crapped out alternators.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

cook off and crack, leading to misfires. And you're not gonna find one at the local Auto Zone. And if you have a spare, stashed away, a windshield wiper relay. If yours fails, no wipers and again, a not easily available part. I once had to drive 200+ miles in the rain with no wipers due to this, so I have a spare with me..."just in case."

And if your travels take you thru SW OH on I-70, let us know when you'll be passing thru and we'll try to organize an impromptu 02 getogether. There's also a very good shop 2 miles off I-70 here in Dayton, just in case.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Guest Anonymous

I just completed a 1500 mile round-trip to V@V and also put together a comprehensive collection of spare parts, having never taken the 36 year old car that far car before. Of course this guaranteed I had no problems. The only additional parts you might want to consisder, because they do break and could be difficult to quickly locate in rural America, would be a thermostat, water pump and fuel pump. I really enjoyed the long distant drive; the car ran great and I got excellent gas mileage. Oh, consider an AAA membership, if you don't have one. Good luck.

Roger

'72 Malaga

My wife and I are relocating from San Francisco to Northern Virginia and, of course, we are driving the '72tii. Planning on ten days.

Any spare parts you recommend we carry, other than the cell phone, credit card and AAA membership card? This is the list I have assembled from looking through past posts:

• alternator belt

• dist cap, rotor, points & condenser

• duct tape

• electrical tape

• electrical wire

• fix a flat

• fuel filter

• fuel line, 1m

• fuel pump

• gas cap

• hose clamps: fuel & radiator hoses

• injection pump belt

• lug nut

• oil filler cap

• oil filter and crush ring

• parachute cord

• Radiator cap

• radiator coolant (50%)

• radiator hose, upper

• spare bulbs/fuses/screws/etc

• spark plugs W7DC, wire

• windshield washer

• wiper inserts

I know...carrying the above will ensure I will never need it. Thanks for the help. Man, we'll miss California. At least they have Trader Joe's in Virginia.

William

...and bring OIL!

Keep an eye on the oil pressure guage (if you have one) and check the oil level at every gas stop.

Otherwise, you seem to have covered everything else, so none of it will break. Happy trails![/b]

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

make a pre Trip Trip FIRST !

of at least 250 miles non-stop the week(s) before your real trip

that will show any areas that need real repairs before the Real Trip.

Any of those parts that you list in your KIT should be installed on the car BEFORE the Real Trip ! Otherwise why do you need to 'stock' them ?

Maybe you enjoy having to find a place where there is no place to pull off the road with family in the car suffering with you - to then start restoration in the dirt on some dark, rainy, cold, sweltering hot,

sunbaking, Sunday afternoon time when you can least afford to

start roadside Restoration .

Service the car properly now.

Leave all that krap in the garage.

Your BMW should tour trouble free if you've done

the service properly in a time that you can plan on.

The car should be fully serviced before departure.

Don't Be This Guy -=>

Frankreich_Lons06.jpg

. . . . . .or this guy either ! -=>>

02driverlookingatflattireRACEPhoto.jpg

Have an Excellent trip and Welcome To The Right Coast

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

the booklet from Motel 6 that lists all their locations in the country. For 30 to 45 bucks a night you can't beat it for having a decent, clean place to sleep. seriously, i've slept at countless Motel 6's across the country. there's no reason to pay more for a hotel.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

One item I truly needed on my trip to Seattle/San Francisco from Michigan in 2006 was a wire hanger to secure my broken exhaust in place.

Maybe you can get one from this lady:

web_no_wire_hangers.jpg

She seems to have little use for them.

:)

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

One item I truly needed on my trip to Seattle/San Francisco from Michigan in 2006 was a wire hanger to secure my broken exhaust in place.

I've usually got a spool of utility/safety wire in my toolbox for this purpose, and it comes in handy for many other things, while being a lot more flexible than a coat hanger.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser