• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone make a Dry Sump oil pan for the 2002?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm swapping to an S14 but am going to need an 02 oil pan for it, BUT I want to go with A Dry Sump oil system for the car. I'm possibly loking at the VAC Motorsports dry sump kit, but still need an 02 dry sump pan to fit the S14 into my '72 02. Anyone know if anyone makes a dry sump oil pan for the 2002 engine? Thanks.

Alvin Caragay

BMWCCA# 156055

'72 BMW 2002(soon to be S14 powered)

'97 Toyota Tacoma

'90 Yamaha FZR400

Guest Anonymous

By removing the oil from the oil pan the crank has no resistance to rotating and sloshing through the oil. Some people knife edged their cranks to help that and make them less rotating mass. Dry sump does a better job. It also is a way to make sure everything is constantly lubed. You can distribute the oil where you see fit like they make sprayers nozzles for shooting the bottom of the piston for cooling if you want to run the line. It's a nice system. Kinda expensive but if your in the race car business it's worth it. For street. I'd just use an accusump for heavy heavy street driving. Baffle the pan as well.

Kris

Guest Anonymous

dry sumps benefit by pulling vacuum as well. reducing pressure inside the motor allows for less ring pressure and even 1 rings which translates to more power

Guest Anonymous

that can inject a volume of oil into the motor if and whenever the engine is spinning but lacks or loses oil pressure. AKA, during startup, hard cornering.

-Rob

Guest Anonymous

..from the crank not having to fight with the oil in the pan. The HP gains have ranged from 5-15hp. A small increase, but every little bit helps. Actually, my main reason for the desire in a dry sump system is because the S14 is known for destroying itself from oil starvation caused by hard cornering which pushes the oil away from the pickup. Baffling can help, but does not eradicate the problem. An Accusump is also another alternative, but i've always been one to want to "go all out" on projects that I am working on. PLus, i'm gonna have a hard time finding space for an accusump under the hood of my 02 with the S14 in there and the custom turbocharger setup I have planned. =)

Alvin Caragay

BMWCCA# 156055

'72 BMW 2002

'97 Toyota Tacoma

'90 Yamaha FZR400

Guest Anonymous

...into the option of a dry sump...just to see how much it would all cost. Like to know all the options so I can make educated decisions on what I want to do. =)

Alvin