• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tom's Stealthy Schwarz Build

oz_tom

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you sure you can fit the fan and intercooler in the nose together? I've got a fan and oil cooler and it's already getting tight. I plan on moving the oil cooler and making sure it is protected, but haven't got as far as thinking about where. Your idea is a good one.

I had been thinking about a removeable top plate and nose reinforcement too, or some equivalent of all that. It seems it will save headaches later...

I too am realising it's an "all at once" job...

On another note Cam, what are you doing regarding diff and rear brakes? Im probably going to go the 323i rear discs and trailing arms unless something great crops up. I need to make a thread on general disc. because im unsure of how this will affect how my wheels will sit and if it will push them out further. Im already having rubbing issues.

Yeah. Ummm. I'm probably not the best guy to ask since my way is not at all cost effective. I still don't know what it's gonna cost.

Since it is a race car, I can get away with a hydraulic handbrake (can still be registered for road use under special motorsport rules) and am having the rear converted to discs using Nissan Skyline calipers (front and rear), and big disks. This creates its own problems - chiefly that I will need to (a) buy new wheels, and (B) they need to have lots of "q-factor", or whatever it is called that means they can fit brakes without hitting the spokes. In practice this means I need to find a reasonably flat faced 15x7" wheel with a 10-15p offset, and the Superlites won't work since it hits the spokes... I may just have to run spacers. I will be installing Turbo flares so will have more room. The whole brake upgrade cost has got way out of hand.

323i is the easiest option (except for the track change). The method making a bracket and using Golf calipers seems to be a good one too. Alternatively, I had been running 250mm e21 rear drums with Ferodo linings at the back, and widened Tii calipers, e21 vented front rotors, and Mintex pads at the front and the braking was good at the track - I just don't trust it with 200hp plus and full on racing. So if you're just planning street driving and track days, uprated standard stuff could be fine.

The more i think about the diff the more im leaning towards a Quaife torsion based unit. With an LSD approaching $700+ by the time you get them over here, all i have to do is blow one and im up to the cost of a Quaife anyway. Shaun (Beaner7102) was quoted NZ$1695 so its about AU$1600 by the time you get it here then another $400 in parts to make it fit in the 02 casing. Its pricey for sure, but id prefer to do it once and be done with it... decisions.

Conversely I'm lucky on the diff front. A couple of years ago I had the opportunity to bring in some parts from the US by sea freight as part of a consolidated shipment. I got two of Aadvark's e21 LSDs shipped to NZ for under NZ$1000 (ie $500 each). I have had one of them modified to increase the lockup (2x clutch plates added, and the housing machined to fit it), and the ramp angle changed, plus new bearings. Total cost was maybe NZ$500 for the mods to a single diff - I am not sure as it was mixed up in a total bill for some other stuff too. After uprating the diff is pretty aggressive.

My biggest issues at the moment are:

- budget creep - on my part (upspeccing stuff) and since some of the fabricating etc for the brakes (including a pedal box and a steering rack conversion) is getting out of hand; and

- so busy at work - difficult to see when I can do stuff on my car, so I'm ending up paying for extra labour to keep things moving (my policy is to try and only pay for stuff involving fabricating/welding).

I really should learn to weld.

2002tii race car

Not sure but im going to give it a go - It is a tight fit for sure but ill see what i can come up with. Another thing i think i forgot to mention was im probably going to modify the bonnet latch arms to free up some space up the front. This site has given me a few good tips just looking through photos. I havnt seen the owner post on FAQ in a while though. I have a very talented friend whose an engineer who will give me a hand with welding and some of the fabrication aspects to this build, for which i am very thankful.

Skyline brakes are insanely good (stock r32 GTS-T ones) from what ive felt. They dont need to be changed to get the car engineered for an RB25DET conversion on an r32 GTS-T down here. It sounds like you will have some great stopping power! With the diffs, well done on a great score.

Harrison, Thanks for the offer! Can i take a rain check? - Todd has a set which he said were too big for his bumper holes so ill try them in mine and then get back to you if thats cool?

Tom

6780296635_13fa58faa3_b.jpg

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

• 2 weeks later...

Got the bar on the car finally and the car re-insured on Friday. The over-riders are shocking but they'll do.

The first pics of the car back on the road from a cruise today with the European Car Club of Aus. Pics are from all different people and cameras so different qualities etc.

IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

2662228121_feac781dec_o.jpg

2662229067_ae43a1f885_o.jpg

P130708_100301.jpg

P130708_100801.jpg

P130708_101801.jpg

P7130006.jpg

P7130007.jpg

P7130028.jpg

P7130030.jpg

P7130032.jpg

P7130041.jpg

SH100357.jpg

SH100374.jpg

SH100377.jpg

Might have a few more coming too. Just need to be resized.

And while im at it.... new parts this week - Jakes 5 speed bracket, EDIS stuff and an Apexi turbo timer in black of course which was dirt cheap.

Tom

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

Just beautiful!

What's your tire size and wheel ET? You wrote about some rubbing issues before. Do you still have problem with that or what did you change to solve it?

Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

Hey Tommy,

They are Alpina 15x7's, et12 (an e21 3 series wheel really) with 205/50's. They are rubbing with no lip so the plan is to go down a to 195's and stiffen up the rear as much as i can stand for a daily with a set of Koni's, Eibach springs and 22mm IE sway bar. Front will also get some GC coilovers.

If that doesnt work, back to the drawing board.

Eric,

Red tail light thing is really easy and works on all colours. I got the idea off the e21 and e30 guys. Its probably not everyones bag but i like it!

Tom

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

how do you do the red tail light?

holy negative camber batman!!!

02 Golf Yellow cruising the border of NSW/VIC!

tii pistons, 293, double valve springs, 40mm DCOE's, sump baffle, sway bars, lowered, 5spd, big brakes, 3pc wheels, bucket seats. Approx 150+hp

how do you do the red tail light?

Its stained glass paint - just a Bunnings jobby. Cant remember the brand i used but it was like $12. So far its held up really well to the weather

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

Kris, i havnt put the 5 spd in yet but it all arrived no worries. Im looking forward to installing it! Thanks for that.

Krix - haha, i would but it would be like 1) buy paint 2) mask 3) spray. Baddabing, baddaboom. Done! Im keenly awaiting for more updates from you - that console looks tops!

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

Will have to get around to bunning's for some of that paint! BTW do you have any more photo's of you car with those superlites and what dimmensions were they?

holy negative camber batman!!!

02 Golf Yellow cruising the border of NSW/VIC!

tii pistons, 293, double valve springs, 40mm DCOE's, sump baffle, sway bars, lowered, 5spd, big brakes, 3pc wheels, bucket seats. Approx 150+hp

Will have to get around to bunning's for some of that paint! BTW do you have any more photo's of you car with those superlites and what dimmensions were they?

Hey mate,

DSCN2423.jpg

They are 14x6's with a low offset (its not stamped on the wheels so i honestly dont know what it is). At a guess id say around 15.

If your interested, ill sell them. They have brand new Bridgestones on them. You will need to do some guard rolling though...

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky