• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tom's Stealthy Schwarz Build

oz_tom

60mm is a huge TB. are you going to be running the turbo with this as well? If you go NA with a 60mm, its going to be more like an on/off switch than a progressive throttle...

Look into a TB from a late model mustang. If I recall, they're around 58 or 60mm.

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

60mm is a huge TB. are you going to be running the turbo with this as well? If you go NA with a 60mm, its going to be more like an on/off switch than a progressive throttle...

Look into a TB from a late model mustang. If I recall, they're around 58 or 60mm.

Yep - turbo with this throttle body. Mustangs arent too common down here but i there are plenty of Ford sedans around. I might take a look at them.

Cheers,

Tom

6780296635_13fa58faa3_b.jpg

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

ha again, trying to find one of those down here in australia, GOOD LUCK! Tom you might be able to find one on a holden or ford motor, Bolt pattern would be wrong but I'm sure it would be up there for size.

holy negative camber batman!!!

02 Golf Yellow cruising the border of NSW/VIC!

tii pistons, 293, double valve springs, 40mm DCOE's, sump baffle, sway bars, lowered, 5spd, big brakes, 3pc wheels, bucket seats. Approx 150+hp

ha again, trying to find one of those down here in australia, GOOD LUCK! Tom you might be able to find one on a holden or ford motor, Bolt pattern would be wrong but I'm sure it would be up there for size.

Yeh, Im thinking any falco-dore would have something decently sized. Ill need to make up an adaptor to fit it but i saw that coming anyway. Plenty of VL's being parted so ill hopefully be able to pick up one for cheap.

Haha the only time we see crown vics are police chases in films..

Hey Tom which pick n pull did you get the 320i manifold from?

Hey Sam,

I got it from Pick Pay n Go in Ringwood. See here: http://www.hotfrog.com.au/Companies/Pick-Pay-N-Go

Its not a bad little yard - a nice bit closer than Pick a Part.

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

• 3 weeks later...

I removed the rear bar and the damage under wasnt bad at all (see pics). I really see no need for a new tail panel and neither did my body guy. The panel is now being knocked back into shape and the rear resprayed - I should get it back early'ish next week.

Beer, is there anything it cant do? Needed an extra set of hands so the bar ddint fall off.

DSCN2980.jpg

DSCN2983.jpg

DSCN2987.jpg

Parts hunting continues as well...

Turbosmart Plumback BOV - Going for "stealthy sleeper" so no Psscht noise.

DSCN2969.jpg

SS Turbo manifold from Ottis - going to give it a little once over.

DSCN2961.jpg

...and my favourite, brand new Garrett GT2860RS dual ball bearing turbo.

Compressor Housing A/R -: 0.60a/r

Turbine Housing A/R - : 0.64a/r

Turbine Wheel Trim - : 76

This should spool up nice and early and is matched well to the M10 from what im told.

DSCN2993.jpg

DSCN2997.jpg

DSCN2999.jpg

Stay tuned!

Tom

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

So I was jealous when you first did this car but now I am really jealous. I look forward to see how things turn out.

Also, I am happy to see that the damage is not as bad as you originally thought.

Eric

1975 2002 Anthrazitgrau

1963 Vespa GL

Looking good. I'm watching your build with great interest.

My understanding is that turbo can be watercooled. Are you going to be routing some plumbing to it for that purpose??

That is the plan at this stage. I havnt looked into it much yet though so i cant give you anymore details right now. This project is 95% research haha!

Tom

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

Car is now back from the body guy and wow, it looks like it never happend. Just need to get the bar on now and grab some new license plate illuminator lights. The bar is the same mangled one that was hit and it now looks brand new - judge for yourself! When i originally got it, there were 2 small dings on the end pieces as well and now they are gone too so its practically a new bar. Much cheaper than BMW prices at $2500

The over riders were pretty crap so the platers did the best they could with them. They'll do for now until i lose the plot and buy new ones at 120 odd dollars each.

Tail trim piece was fairly f'd so Todd hooked my up with a nice new (to me) one along with some brake boosters and crack free dash. Dash will be for another project car.

DSCN3003.jpg

DSCN3004.jpg

DSCN3008.jpg

DSCN3009.jpg

DSCN3010.jpg

DSCN3011.jpg

On a side note, my PWR intercooler arrived- looks beaut. Its an "Aero 2" off the shelf cooler so to speak. Part number PWI5428 for those who might be after one. I dont expect this to fit easily, as it is pushing the limits of space in the 02 nose, but thats half the fun. Dimensions are 500 x 210 x 68. They can do outlet/inlet at the bottom of the end tanks too.

DSCN3002.jpg

That is all.

Tom

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

The cars coming along well, I should be getting myself a 5spd by the end of the year. Hopefully next year there will be some EFI coming my way too!

holy negative camber batman!!!

02 Golf Yellow cruising the border of NSW/VIC!

tii pistons, 293, double valve springs, 40mm DCOE's, sump baffle, sway bars, lowered, 5spd, big brakes, 3pc wheels, bucket seats. Approx 150+hp

Looking good! Those bumpers are awesome.

Am very keen to see how you deal with a couple of potential issues (coz it will help me):

1) fan (engine fan? or electric?)

2) fitting the intercooler into the nose. Will you try and fit an oil cooler there too?

3) adapting Otis' manifold to T25 flange. I am looking at getting a slightly wedge shaped and port matched t25 flange with studs and welding it onto my (Otis) manifold. I can't use a regular T25-T3 adaptor since it will cause the turbo to hit the guard (more correctly the wastegate actuator).

I see this guy in Aussie has something which would probably work (getting the wedge shape isn't critical I dont think):

Ebay link

What's the plan for ignition?

2002tii race car

Gday Cam,

Thanks, im sure ill be bouncing some ideas off you at some stage too.

1) fan (engine fan? or electric?)

Im looking at a SPAL pusher unit which is 2.5" thick. Not bad value at about 80 bucks US last time i checked for a 12" fan.

2) fitting the intercooler into the nose. Will you try and fit an oil cooler there too?

Biggest issue here apart from space, is flow. I may be a bit ambitious but ive been looking into mounting it behind the headlight bucket and then cutting out the section behind it so air can flow through and into the wheel well. Protection of the cooler will also be something ill need to address as well as getting the air to flow through to the oil cooler (directing it through from the grill). If you look up in the wheel well, there is quite a lot of space up there.

With actually fitting the intercooler, im intending on having a removable top plate, somewhat Paul Cain 3002ttiL style. He was the one that gave me his intercooler dimensions and i ran with this to figure out what size could work for me. Because im taking out this piece, i dont want the nose structure to be compromised so i will brace it somewhat like this: Skidmark Racing nose reinforcement - Only difference being im keeping the radiator cross piece and radiator mounted in the stock location

3) adapting Otis' manifold to T25 flange. I am looking at getting a slightly wedge shaped and port matched t25 flange with studs and welding it onto my (Otis) manifold. I can't use a regular T25-T3 adaptor since it will cause the turbo to hit the guard (more correctly the wastegate actuator).

I see this guy in Aussie has something which would probably work (getting the wedge shape isn't critical I dont think):

Ebay link

This is exactly what i was looking at. Im a tad worried about the actuator too but you never know until its mocked up. The more stuff i get, the more i realise im going to have to do everything at once rather than gradually.

What's the plan for ignition?

EDIS4 which is currently on its way in the mail.

On another note Cam, what are you doing regarding diff and rear brakes? Im probably going to go the 323i rear discs and trailing arms unless something great crops up. I need to make a thread on general disc. because im unsure of how this will affect how my wheels will sit and if it will push them out further. Im already having rubbing issues.

The more i think about the diff the more im leaning towards a Quaife torsion based unit. With an LSD approaching $700+ by the time you get them over here, all i have to do is blow one and im up to the cost of a Quaife anyway. Shaun (Beaner7102) was quoted NZ$1695 so its about AU$1600 by the time you get it here then another $400 in parts to make it fit in the 02 casing. Its pricey for sure, but id prefer to do it once and be done with it... decisions.

Tom

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky