BMPOWER

The best Suspension for a 2002 M20?

24 posts / 1793 viewsLast Reply

The answer to this question depends entirely on how you intend to use the car. If you could tell us that, you should get some useful responses.

Mike

As title says guys, what would be the best?

Cheers

I don't know that there is a "Best," but we have Eibach lowering springs and Bilstein Sports.

I'm not taking the M20 route, but if I did, the car would be for the street only, but with some spirited driving. I would imagine that many would be curious what suspension setup would be most beneficial for such a conversion.

I would guess that the bigger brake setup would be necessary along with a nice, fat swaybar. Otherwise, Urethane bushings? Are coilovers needed?

I have....

Bilstein sports

GC coilovers in front

IE Stage II springs in rear

Wilwood Superlite calipers in front

ST swaybars

All urethane bushings

Aarvarc rear disc kit

Have had it out a few times (still under reassembly) and I am pretty happy with the setup so far. Should be able to better comment by the end of the summer.

Checkout my blog for pics.

Yea, im thinking of getting coil overs, i don't know whats best. Where should i get my Poly bushes from? Who has the best?

cheers

I don't want to sound like an ass, but there are many,many words in the english language. All of them are free. Feel free to use as many as necessary to clearly get your point across :)

Coilovers are great, are they for you? Who knows. Until we have a better idea of how, when, and why you plan on driving no one will really be able to help out...Is the car built yet or in planning stages? Have you corner weighted the car? Street? Track? Lightweight race toy? Heavy luxo barge w/ 4 TV's in back? Etc, etc

Again, I'm not trying to be a jerk, just trying to gather more info.

Zac

I don't want to sound like an ass, but there are many,many words in the english language. All of them are free. Feel free to use as many as necessary to clearly get your point across :)

Coilovers are great, are they for you? Who knows. Until we have a better idea of how, when, and why you plan on driving no one will really be able to help out...Is the car built yet or in planning stages? Have you corner weighted the car? Street? Track? Lightweight race toy? Heavy luxo barge w/ 4 TV's in back? Etc, etc

Again, I'm not trying to be a jerk, just trying to gather more info.

Zac

Dude, i don't care about your opinion, Just dont post.

Dude, i don't care about your opinion, Just dont post.

Yup, that's exactly how I'd reply to someone who's trying to help me out.

Little twat.

This is definitely a trial and error thing because there aren't many cars with an M20 in them right now that are really going for super tuned suspensions. The m20 does seem to effect the weight balance of the car (I may be wrong- never corner weighed mine). In an effort to combat understeer on mine, I've decided to go with stiffer than usual rear springs. Usually the fronts are 50 lbs or so heavier than the rears. I'll be using the same stiffness all around (275 lb/inch) to see how I like it with Ireland swaybars and Bilstein sports.

I've also got some 450 lb springs to toss on the rear for autocross in case I want to remove the rear sway bar. But then the 275 lb fronts may be too soft. We'll see. Make sure you know how to drive before you start stiffening the rear (don't drive nuts on the street - its more prone to drift.)

To learn more about suspension tuning read Fred Puhn's book "How to make you car handle" because its the bible.

Real Funny Asswipe

Seriously, man. These guys are trying to help you and all you're doing is acting like a child. Ask clear questions and you'll get clear answers. We're all REALLY sorry that Zac hurt your feelings, but he said that he wasn't trying to offend you and his reply was respectful. We all throw jokes around at some point, but if you can't have the same level of respect for others that you apparently demand, then it's you that shouldn't post.

perhaps this is why he needs so many alias's.

i chose not to deal with him after a little research and help from a fellow faqer . read and come to your own conclusions. another reason we need a feedback forum.

http://bigcoupe.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5494&highlight=swea

http://forums.eurocca.net/showthread.php?t=23717&highlight=bmtech1

http://forums.eurocca.net/showthread.php?t=24749&page=2&highlight=bmtech1

Thanks.

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

But I can't take the credit; it was posted by admin under "forum "rules" please, read!"

So, I suppose you are welcome to express your appreciation to the board's admin!

Cheers,

Ray

http://www.starterupsteve.com/swf/posting.html

:-)

Have a nice day!

Ray

-------------------------------

Real Funny Asswipe