• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ignition relay wiring diagram

jp02ti

Hi Simeon - yes I understand the msd needs the switched 12V.  It is all wired up and ready to go live.

Hi Chris - so help me out about me not needing a relay.  As you can see in the pics my car used to have a ballast resistor.   Last year I removed that resistor and simply put a jumper in place at the suggestion of the Pertronix folks and it worked.  I ran the Pertronix for several months and no issues.    Now this MSD upgrade and it will go smoothly thanks to all...  So are you saying simply remove the relay and leave all the wires "open"? 

Great if that is the case - the loom is all stock on this car and I am doing my best to preserve things as best as possible.  

Note to others re the Blaster SS Coil - the mounting diagram supplied with the unit is wrong.  Measure and drill your own mounting holes.  ?!**#!#$%%?.

JP02ti,

Attached is a wiring diagram of the resistor bypass circuit in my 71 2002.  It also has the 6 fuse electrical system.  I think this is what you have.  I could not find anything in the factory manual wiring diagrams that shows this circuit for 6 fuse cars.  I think this is something BMW did prior to the switch to 12 fuses but never got into the wiring diagrams.  Hope the attached file is readable.

Resister bypas circuit018.pdf