PatAllen

1974 automatic 4280905. FINISHED

109 posts / 20583 viewsLast Reply

Last weekend i managed to sandblast most of the surface rust.

What a messy job, expecialy when it is 35 deg outside, the sand stick on your skin, it gets into your ears, your nose, teeth,...

I hauled it with my toyota truck and a big trailer...the bumper on my poor toytoy bented severly...no wonder why, it is so rusted...so i fixed it while i was at my friend machine shop, where i sandblasted the 02 too.

too bad i didnt have my camera, the toytoy looked very small compared to the trailer with the 02 on it !! lol...

I bonded the passenger fender, fiberglass. IT is kinda rough and as usual, dont fit 100%. I had to add some screws so it will "stay", with some persuasion...i think it will be ok after all.

I also took out most of my chrome trims and other trims...gawd...i have so many, i am a bit lost, which one goes where,...

once i will have finished the sort them i will post a for sale add for sure, i have way too many of theses...

So now i am bondoing and sanding. What i like about this car is that the body is VIRGIN !! no multiple layers of surprises.

There will be very few bondo once i will have finished, only to make it "striaght", the usual, roof, looks like a party went over it... and the fiberglass fenders too needs a bit of bondo.

post-119-13667591080714_thumb.jpg

post-119-13667591083886_thumb.jpg

post-119-13667591086722_thumb.jpg

post-119-13667591089467_thumb.jpg

Man, you're brave. Got to that car right before it rusted away to nothing.

Work looks good though, are you going to keep it Sahara or go with another color?

The color question is the biggest debate right now.

Sahara is not that bad, but id like to have it something close to "grey mouse" as i use to say, it looks so vintage.

Audi has some nice gray on their TT, i will have my friend who works in a paint store look at it.

Probably Bristol, Fjord or polaris neu.

I will put on early style wheels with hubcaps as well for sure.

Believe me the body is not that bad, ive seen others way more bad, especialy my white one.

the color i am talking about is aviator gray from Audi (TT)

post-119-13667591094887_thumb.jpg

today update...

i spent a lot of time adjusting the fiberglass fenders, and making them look straight.

I also fixed the rear left shock tower and also the top of the nose near the rad. That portion has been saw zalled by po for a very obscure reason, probably to reach the nuts of the center grille...i couldnt look straight so i had it sprayed with gravle guard, then the sprayable bondo over that will striaghten it a lot.

Next will be to fix/adjust the front bumper once i will receive some known good source bumper ends.

I still didnt find the source of the one i have. grrrrrr.

Soon i will spray over a coat of spryable light bondo, will get it surfaced straight then primer...i cant wait for this day to come...i am a bit late on this project.

post-119-13667591655924_thumb.jpg

post-119-13667591659254_thumb.jpg

post-119-13667591662337_thumb.jpg

post-119-13667591665152_thumb.jpg

post-119-13667591668098_thumb.jpg

Its coming along nicely Pat - im enjoying seeing this car coming back to life.

Tom

Its coming along nicely Pat - im enjoying seeing this car coming back to life.

Tom

Thanks Tom...i am late on that project, i just hope i will finish it by the end of the summer.

For the ones who download the stickers jpg: be warned, they are far from beign perfect, i am not a pro graphist at all, they could benefit from beign reworked/perfected.

Thanks.

For the ones who download the stickers jpg: be warned, they are far from beign perfect, i am not a pro graphist at all, they could benefit from beign reworked/perfected.

Good thing I'm a designer with a little free time (man, I should be working right now!)

jpegs are low-rez, if you want the high-rez ones download the .zip file here: (2.3Mb)

post-1819-13667591750265_thumb.jpg

post-1819-13667591751532_thumb.jpg

Good thing I'm a designer with a little free time (man, I should be working right now!)

jpegs are low-rez, if you want the high-rez ones download the .zip file here: (2.3Mb)

Thanks H_Krix !!

small update...i didnt spend all the time i wanted...its summer time, vacations, i am lazy, too much beer,...

I removed what was left from under the hood so i can clean the firewall and all the rest.

I was not supposed to go that far under the hood. I told myself...why not.

post-119-1366759271295_thumb.jpg

post-119-13667592715972_thumb.jpg

post-119-13667592718794_thumb.jpg

post-119-13667592721663_thumb.jpg

First coats of "reface" stuff...light sprayable bondo.

I blocked it all 2 times to mask all imperfections.

This car gona be straight.

It requires a lot of elbow grease as i do it all manualy. Pff !!

post-119-13667592781825_thumb.jpg

post-119-13667592784547_thumb.jpg

post-119-13667592787226_thumb.jpg

First coats of "reface" stuff...light sprayable bondo.

I blocked it all 2 times to mask all imperfections.

This car gona be straight.

It requires a lot of elbow grease as i do it all manualy. Pff !!

pat...i feel your pain...so far, i've blocked out 2 coats of polyester primer or sprayable bondo as you call it and 2 coats of 2k primer...i've been sleeping in elbow braces for a week...but...i'm just about ready for paint

this reminds me...i need to take some more pictures