• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 a/c kits

hendi72

does anyone know, or, has anyone heard of anybody making new a/c kits for the 02's? clardy is long out of biz, behr units are hard to find evaps for and i refuse to ressurect an old frigiking. any ideas? it's going to be 100 degrees here until january!

thanks as always,.

mark

Might check out Vintage Air, maybe you already have. Figured I would some day. If they can put air in a street rod with only a tub body something ought to work.

Mesa performance in CA has a kit with everything to replace all hoses & compressor with newer rotary type, including all new hoses, so if your AC console looks good, just replace everything else, if not used behr center consoles in good condition go up for sale here freqently. You can also just buy new hoses, dryer, & compressor from any auto AC supply house, if you have a york compressor, you need the adapter plate/kit for york to sanden about $55. If you want to blow more money into it than basic get it going/rebuilt, replace the fan & condensor also & find a parallel flow condensor, instead of the original serpentine type, you have to cut metal under the hood likely to make one fit, but they are an improvement over the originals, about $ 100. Also find a very good independant auto AC repair shop willing to replace the system, if you don't have the experience to put it all together & charge it.

2002 owner since 1980

I'm getting my car's A/C installed doing basically what Dan wrote above. As a matter of fact, the car is at the a/c shop as I write this.

I'm using a compressor recommended by a customer of mine who is the largest a/c parts distributor in the island. It's basically the same size and shape as the Sanden 508 but, as he explained, it has 9 pistons instead of the 5 the 508 has and will be more efficient.

The condenser being used is a parallel flow one and everything else will be new except the blower/evaporator, which will be a Frigiking. I was tempted to buy one of the compact universal units sold by Vintage Air and other vendors, but they are kinda expensive, so I decided to try resurrecting the Frigiking.

I'll post results as soon as the shop is done with the car.

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290