• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Bumper Bracket Rubber Covers - For '73 '02 Owners

Well, after waiting 10 years I finally found two worthy rubber covers to install on "Atlantik" - who had been "bare" since residing in my garage. I had to rehab the pass side with some new rubber, and I'll do a tech article someday on the repair for anyone interested.

I know we '73 owners are a limited group with certain things "particular" to our cars, but I wouldn't change that for anything! :-)

And as Mike Self always recommends (as did Michel Potheau), I cleaned up and waxed the back side of the bumper while off the car. The pass side where the exhaust is had the beginnings of rust, so I'm glad I pulled it off.

Once the rubber covers were installed, the hardest thing was realigning the bumper so it was level and lined up with the mid-line moulding on the sides of the car.

Overall, a rewarding little project! And have a helper if you can. I did. It's so easy to scratch something otherwise!

Happy '02ing,

John

post-197-13667579683403_thumb.jpg

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

Aren't those overrider "blaus" still available as new?

Not that I am aware of...if so, I'm pissed! :-) I just figured they went the way of the shallow pod grills (NLA). If you have the part number, please share, and I'll look into it.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

Aren't those overrider "blaus" still available as new?

NLA or "Ended" according to Real OEM anyway:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=2583&mospid=47141&btnr=51_3330&hg=51&fg=15

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

Congratulations, John!!!

The real factory parts in the places where they belong!!!

I hope by now you've forgiven me for outbidding you for the dress covers I snatched from your grasp on ebay so many years ago.

LOL!

Since then, I've gotten two more pairs that have been soaked in "back-to-black" and stored far from the deadly UV rays out here in the Bay Area.

I won't retire from the proceeds if I sell, but ya never know when I might need a pair (or two).

Cheers!

Delia

post-169-13667579685932_thumb.jpg

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

Thanks Delia! We '73ers need to stick together for parts like these.

I actually have some spares put away as well, but they're pretty rough. Maybe another project would be to refurbish them...I can try but you "can't make a silk purse out of a pig's ear" (or was that "cow's ear"?), as they say.

Keep "Vinylex" or similar rubber treatment on the top and that should pro-long life against UV Rays.

Happy 4th! Our son is here from Ohio, and we're gonna have a father & son drive in Hugo today...he's never ridden in it. So, he's gonna ride "and" drive him and I'll see what he thinks of the ole man's restoration! :-)

John

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

I have been successful in getting four different "ended" parts for customers this past month.

NLA is the dreaded tag.

Let me know if you want me to run the part number down and see what I can do.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

I have been successful in getting four different "ended" parts for customers this past month.

NLA is the dreaded tag.

If those turn out to be available, let me know.

Matthew Cervi
'71 Bavaria

'18 M2

I see four different rubber pieces on the REOloem site for the 72 rear bumbers.

I can check on Thursday.

The rubber covers are specific to '73 (at least in the US, not sure if they were ever used in Europe). It looks like the part numbers are 51 12 1 823 613 and 614.

Matthew Cervi
'71 Bavaria

'18 M2

The parts look like this:

Delia

These "dress covers" hide the oval shaped '73-only bumper brackets. The brackets are USA-spec only to meet Federal bumper impact regs and not used on the Euro-spec cars.

The cover has a flange that slips between the the bracket and the body with two molded-in steel lugs for the bolts to pass through.

Unfortunately, water gets trapped inside the rubber and the steel turns to dust. Consequently, the bumper gets a bit loose.

Anywhere there was lots of road salt or high humidity, these bits were removed after a few years and discarded.

I trimmed out the offending rusty steel lugs on mine and replaced them with a simple fender washer with squared-off corners made on a bench grinder. It provides enough grip to hold the rubber flange in place. Using a bit of body "dum-dum" helps seal out moisture.

Cheers!

Delia

post-169-1366757968905_thumb.jpg

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

NLA is the dreaded tag.

Bill:

The p/n's are 51 12 1 823 613 and 51 12 1 823 614. Would be a miracle if they are still in a Mobile Tradition warehouse somewhere. If you find a set I'll definitely take a set.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"