mikekoch

75 mintgrun MSII M20 conversion

48 posts / 27593 viewsLast Reply

85 golf/Jetta TDI w/AC. Very similar to the scirocco of the same year, slightly different dimensions. I happened to find a used one cheaply that I used for mockup, then picked up the new one.

Mike

what radiator is that.....?

Looking good Mike - I'll have to stop by in person one of these days...

- Chris

After replacing the rear brake lines and a ton of other little chores, like reinstalling the subframes, rotors, hubs and things, it's back on the ground to have the engine installed. Just a few reassembly tasks on the engine and in it goes! This is starting to turn back into the rewarding pursuit it once one. Lack of time and the approaching good weather has caused me to feel a bit pressured lately.

edit: I should note there that this is the ride height with the coilovers, 275lb 7" springs and Rabiit Bilstein sport inserts. I expect it to drop about .75 - 1" with the engine in and I'll turn the collars down another .5" or so.

ontheground.jpg

Mike, it's Anthony. Looking cool, looks like you may beat me to having a car done for the Portland Historic's. Anyway, is it me or does the items on the shelf above the car make anyone nervous....whew....looks kind of like it's just about to fall.

Thanks Anthony. There is a little bit of fisheye effect there that makes my little crap pile look more precarious than it really is. It's just plug wires, bits of hose and other non-denting things, mostly. That shelf is first in line for a post-assembly garage cleaning.

I am no threat for the Historics, believe me! Still have to make an exhaust and sort through a long list of other completely essential things (like make a new CSB mount) before I can drive it.

Engine goes in tomorrow!

See you at the meeting?

Take care,

Mike

Mike, it's Anthony. Looking cool, looks like you may beat me to having a car done for the Portland Historic's. Anyway, is it me or does the items on the shelf above the car make anyone nervous....whew....looks kind of like it's just about to fall.

Mike- is the center support issue related to the swap? Or was it an issue with the m10 as well. My driveline is so far from straight its not even funny. I need to raise my CSB.

Pete

It's because of the 320i driveshaft. I measured the one I had originally, then bought a rebuilt, resized replacement and it didn't fit like the old one. Sooooo, I get to move the CSB up and back. Fun!

Mike- is the center support issue related to the swap? Or was it an issue with the m10 as well. My driveline is so far from straight its not even funny. I need to raise my CSB.

Pete

After some late night prep the night before, I was able to drop the engine back in after work yesterday. Now the rest of the work begins. This is exciting!

Crappy phone cam picture:

engine-installed.jpg

I really like how you braced the nose panel. Do you think it's any more/less sturdier than original??

Paint looks pretty sharp too...

TK

Thanks man. It's tough to say. I hope it's at least as stiff as what I removed! The rectangular section that supports the radiator is welded to the tops of the frame rail caps and to what's left of the top of the nose section. I designed it with a slight interference fit, then cut the braces to be as snug as practically possible.

Coming up next..

"Why you should use an 02 driveshaft on your M20 conversion", or "There is wisdom in the 'measure twice, cut once' adage", or "How being in a hurry can make a nightmare out of a relatively simple task"

Mike

I really like how you braced the nose panel. Do you think it's any more/less sturdier than original??

Paint looks pretty sharp too...

TK

Nice work on the tunnel Mike, next time my engine is out I'll have to do the same...what a pain in the ass to take the engine/trans out now!

Did you get custom lines made for your vw calipers? I just need lines for mine and they are done..

Matt

It's been almost a year since I bought them, but I think they are pre-made braided lines for Jetta (95 or so) front calipers. The rears for the same year are too short. I did add some stubby little hard lines back there to space out the hoses on the swingarms in a way that looked right to me. I also didn't like the way the lines mated to the calipers. The end result works well though.

Mike

Nice work on the tunnel Mike, next time my engine is out I'll have to do the same...what a pain in the ass to take the engine/trans out now!

Did you get custom lines made for your vw calipers? I just need lines for mine and they are done..

Matt