• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Update of the Schnitzer 2002 (Gruppe 5) Project

Guest Anonymous

Mark, my name is Sam and I have an original Group 5 BMW 2002. I bought the car just over a year ago from Laurens Manders in the Netherland. The car is absolutely incredible and my plans are to have it up and running at the Octoberfest this year. I bought the Schnitzer motor and parts that were for sale in California. I bought the car and a motor. The motor came from Austria and while complete, have some questionable parts. I bought the motor(s) and parts from California in hopes of building two good Schnitzer motors. By the way the car came with papers and history. Not to the level of detail I'd like, but with enough to validate it's authenticity.

The reason I emailing you is that I am looking for documentation on the motor(s). If you have any info I'd like get a hold of it. If you need info about my car please email me offline. Lots of tricks on this car (body air jacks, halon system, etc.). Later

Guest Anonymous

I would be interested to hear what "historical" documents he provided you and what the history was. It is interesting because someone spent a lot of time and money to change a bunch of things around on that car ie., air jacks, the transmission tunnel, pedals, roll cage etc., etc., I don't think that I ever did see any detailed photo's of the steering assembly or rear suspension (those would be essential to see). I also thought it curious that the exhaust came out the back like a normal 2002 - the schnitzer cars always exited out the side near the passenger. oiriginally (air jacks for one).

As far as the Austrian engine goes, I recall a motor advertised on one of the English sites a while back, was an injected motor, the slide throttle, pan, valve cover and upper timing cover were all "silver" looking. The slide and the oil pan were for an F2 car (run straight up and down) and it had a funky looking lower timing cover (actually a standard 2002 lower timing cover painted black that they cobbled together - same motor? As far as the stuff you got from Rick out here in California - depending on what you paid you - never mind I can't say whether or not you got a good deal. You got a whole bunch of valuable parts for sure. A new Heidegger 3 stage dry sump pump would have to be north of $3k these days, the slide throttle, throttle butterflies, covers etc., lots of good stuff. The head appears to be used (for sure) but the cam carrier appears to be new. A bonus for you that it is new - however all the machining still has to be done on it to make it work (and not grenade your engine). If you haven't already found someone to help with our engine I would advise finding someone near by that at the least has Cosworth BDA/BDG experience, BMW M12/7 experience - there isn't anyone I really know that has Schnitzer experience here in this country. The closest probably being Marcus Glarner in Ontario Canada. Outside of that would be Heini Mader Racing in Switzerland. Keep us posted with your project - it sounds like fun.

Note I did not say a Schnitzer, I said a Group 5 2002. This car is not a Schnitzer! I think there was only three Schnitzer sponsored cars (Ertl, Krebs and I don't remember the third off the top of my head). Although painted in the Ertl Schnitzer colors, this car was originally a funky green and white. I have a Wagen Pass with from 1977 with the chasis number on it. It was register to a current GT-40 race car driver in Europe. I am attempting to contact him to get additional information about the car. He is still driving competively. I have traced it history to a couple of races in the 1977 and 1978. To date I can't find one where the car finished. I'll keep you posted on my findings. The car was converted to run oval track in the 1990's.

Do you have documentation on the engines from that era?

I don't know if we are talking about the same Austrian motor. This motor had a blue Schnitzer valve cover came with two blocks (one is a turbo block number 429 prefix). Had a slide throttle body injection in excellent condition. The front cover was gold, with a lot of paint missing. Was complete but the header was shot and I don't believe the pistons or the valve or correct, but I need documentation to validate my suspicions.

Guest Anonymous

Funny, at one point I want to recall that Laurens was "suggesting" it was a "Schnitzer" Turbo 2oo2 - there were a lot of things that were different than what Schnitzer had done on thier cars (that isn't to say that at one point maybe it wasn't because people did all sorts of things with these cars - especially prior to them starting to escalate in value ). At any rate it appeared to me that it had been very well put together and I am sure has a lot of valuable parts. I would like to see some other pics of the car if you have them.

Regarding the engine, the engine I saw is different than what you apparently have - it didn't have a "blue" valve cover. I should think that you would be able to make two engines from what you have....along with a couple of wheel barrows full of cash. Short of the crank and rods you have most of what you need to build a turbo motor as well. Its too bad that the long block that went with all the turbo stuff was sold separately - not sure to who but I would guess it is over seas now. Email me off line at amcclelland1@earthlink.net.

Here are some picture of the engine I bought from Austria. I suspect the piston are not correct. I now have that engine completely apart and repainted in the original Schnitzer colors. In order not to keep flooding the blog with a lot of pictures and personal info I will continue to give timely update on my progress and findings. I am in serious research mode now and looking for any and all documentation I can find about the different motors that came in the Schnitzer. Everything came with this engine. The only part was was in really bad shape is the header. It's in two pieces.

If you have some personal info or pictures you'd like to see, let me know and I will attempt to share them with the list. I went off line with Mark because the amount of info and pictures I've shared with him is entirely too much so send to this community. Again no dispect to the list, I am really trying to be courteous. If you think there more general info the community at large is looking for please don't hesitate to send an email to the list and I send pictures.

post-536-13667578493989_thumb.jpg

post-536-13667578495043_thumb.jpg

post-536-13667578496013_thumb.jpg

post-536-13667578497021_thumb.jpg

My bad, I been assuming every one has seen the car Mark and I are talking about. Here are some pictures of my Group Five Car and 1974 2002 Turbo. As you can tell I don't like BMW's. (:>) Again, not to take up too much air time I will keep you posted as my research reveals the heritage/geneology of the car. Stay tune for upcoming update. Again no disrespect to the group at large but I don't want to dominant the list. Enjoy, Sam

post-536-13667578498049_thumb.jpg

post-536-13667578499612_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
My bad, I been assuming every one has seen the car Mark and I are talking about. Here are some pictures of my Group Five Car and 1974 2002 Turbo. As you can tell I don't like BMW's. (:>) Again, not to take up too much air time I will keep you posted as my research reveals the heritage/geneology of the car. Stay tune for upcoming update. Again no disrespect to the group at large but I don't want to dominant the list. Enjoy, Sam

Where in texas are you???

Patrick Sloan

1975 inka 2002 - 2375719

1991 325iC

2001 325i

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

All this vintage 2002 racing stuff is fascinating! Please keep it coming.

Photobucket

ps: When you are put on "hold" during a call to Maximillian, they play old BMW racing soundtracks with German interviews translated into English. The sounds of the CSL's are amazing.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

• 2 weeks later...

Stienko, My name is Sam Moultrie and I have the Wagen Pass for this car and the car in my garage. I am currently in the last phase of engine restoration. I'd love to converse with you more about the history of this car. I bought this car from Lauren Manders of Belgium. The car has been outfitted in the Ertl Schnitzer colors, but the "update" wagen Pass has the colors of the car you are standing by in the picture.

I look forward to talking to you,

Sam