• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Update of the Schnitzer 2002 (Gruppe 5) Project

Guest Anonymous

• 8 months later...
Guest Anonymous

Hello Sam,

My dad bought the 2002 gr5 of Stienko Hut after it was abused a couple of years in short track racing. Before that it was used in rallycross. The car had a hard life, and was wrecked several times. My dad did the complete restoration and sold it to Klaus Raht in germany, after that the car was painted in Rodenstock colours and sold to Mr Manders. Nice to hear the car is in your hands now. There are a lot of pictures here from the restoration, so if youre intrested. a.droogsma(at)ziggo.nl.

• 1 year later...

Albin,

Sorry for the delayed response, I still have the Group 5 2002. Since the last time I posted on the list I've had the pleasure of entertaining, Steinko Hut (driver), Gert Liewes, Henk Liewes, Jan Ruuls (sponsor), at my home in Texas. We all got together last year for pictures at my home in Texas.

I spent last weekend with all of them except Steinko at the Historic race in Monterey. Any information you have on this car would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Sam

Steinko,

Sorry you couldn't make it to Monterey. We had a great time. Hopefully you can come the next time. I am hoping BMW will be the main attraction in 2013. Looks like A/C Cobra is the car next year.

I got the DME box fixed so the car "should" run. I might try and work on it next Monday (holiday).

Later,

Sam

Guest Anonymous

Wow, this is an old thread. Sam long time, how is the car coming? Last I saw from years ago it was getting closer for sure, but engine wasn't togther yet. Do you have it running? I didn't see it entered at Monterey so I assume you didn't have it ready for that. I was thinking the same thing that Monterey is going to have BMW as featured marque again soon, last i think it was 1996 (?). Glad its not next year, I could have a shot at making it by 2013 (maybe). Best.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

Mark,

The car for all intent and purpose is done. The Schnitzer motor has been completely rebuilt. I decide to build the 2 liter slide throttle body motor. I didn't have a good DME/ECU unit. I have one now, I just haven't had the time to put it in the car and wire it up. I might try tomorrow since it a holiday. I will send pictures of the motor installed in the car. It's a long story but one I hope has a happy ending. One good thing that has come out of this thread is that I've been in contact with many of the owners, sponsors and driver of the car and have some very valuable historic documentation.

Thanks for the interest,

Sam

Guest Anonymous

Great, would love to see the pics when you have a minute. If the Ecu you are speaking of is the/a CD box it goes without saying BE CAREFUL. I have one for my car (Bosch F2 type), according to my engine build guy they put out ALOT of juice - enough to easily kill you. He advised me that this be one part I don't fool with myself. Same boxes Porsche uses in their twin spark RSR's.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

Guest Anonymous

Sam, if you haven't checked this out, you should. I should have posted this here, but posted in the General Forum first not thinking. Pretty cool. Your car goes like stink......!

Happy friday. Race stuff is always fun I think (vintage race stuff). Work has been killing me so posts are way less often sometimes weeks apart. The car in the video is actually here in the US and nearly completed with a normally aspirated Schnitzer 20,4 motor (16v, slide injection). I have a number of interesting detailed images of the car and its suspension, steering etc., need to get the owners permission and some time to post up, but would be good info for many to see. Here is the link....

http://www.alpinabmw2002.com/2011/09/racing-team-hut-grp-5-schnitzer-204.html

• 1 month later...

Mark,

I have the video of my car running and winning four championships in circle track racking in the Netherlands. I have the pleasure of meeting the sponsor of the car Jan Ruuls and Steinko Hut. I have picture of both of them standing by my car in front of my garage. The car is completely back together. The engine was built by Ray Korman's old mechanic Henry Lawrence. He owns a shop in North Carolina called "The Power Plant". I have a working CDI box now so the car should run. I will try and keep you posted.

Sam, I think in the slew of pics you sent me long ago that I had a pic of your cd box, but as I recall it wasn't one of the BOSCH CDI boxes you would normall see with a F2 car (BMW M12) also used as half of the CDI for twin plug Porsche RSR's - they put out alot of juice (as a matter of fact my engine builder went out of his way to say be careful, very carefel with it yikes. I also believe that permatune will put new guts inside of these older boxes when they malfunction - keep the period look with modern guts.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

I actually found a company in the BMW Roundel magazine that repairs them. They asked me about the wiring schematics. Henry Lawrence (BMW Powerplant in North Carolina), gave me the schematics for this motor. I've been waiting for the right weekend to work on the car and get it running. I've go so much to do at work, and about five simultaneous projects. Tried to send some pictures but they were over 500KB. I will compress them and send them to you. I have pictures of the motor in the car, and the entire race team from Belgium (Sponsor - Jan Ruuls, Driver - Steinko Hut). Now that I am no long working on the road (three years in Chicago), I should be able to get some of my project done.

I feel your pain, between the incredilby SUCKY economy, family responsibilities etc., it is hard time to find time to work on the car. I have been on it so long my boys were (little boys) when took delivery of it. Just penned out a check to the University of California for my oldest first quarter of college......yyeesh. My new email is mark.mcclell at gmail dot com. Keep rollin' the rock up the hill....

www.alpinabmw2002.com

Mark,

Thanks for the encouragement and your email address. I will send some pictures this weekend of the car, engine, Steinko, etc.. Yes I know what it's like to have children in college. It was like having another income earner in the household when my daughter graduated from Texas A&M. Pray for four years. It worked for me. (:>)

You motivated me, had the day off, worked a few hours, went and visited my engine builder - left him some money to get going again. Mission = finish the cylinder head. Valves are made, has new valve guides installed, just need keepers cut in the valves, new springs, retainers etc., to be sourced (easy), biggest expense will be the new valve seats (to make, install and then do another valve job on 16 valves. Also, he uses some sort of exotic coating on the lifters and I believe in the cam journals that help with the oiling and limit friction (don't know what it is but will share when I find out). Exhaust seats I am told will be Beryllium copper, intake seats hardened steel. I have two HART 420R head being prepped in front of me so it will be mid December before he gets started. This will be a huge milestone to complete. Thanks to my awesome wife for pushing me to get going on this.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

post-536-13667651540466_thumb.jpg