• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gas tank leaks at the seam.

wickstad

CONSIDER THE OTHER RUSTING TAKING PLACE

inside and outside of the GASOLINE! tank.

REPLACE it - new is available. Good USED

also out there.

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

POR-15 has a gas tank sealer. If you follow the directions to a T, it will do the job. Expect the tank to be out of the car for a day and a half to do it right. I had a leak in the seam on my '72. Using the POR-15 product, it took care of the problem and never leaked for the 5 years that I owned it since that repair.

Cheers,

Doug

'73 tii Atlantik

• 8 years later...

Old thread, but I like upcycling.

I'm trying to identify a strong cabin/boot fuel smell and wondering if there is a way to determine if the tank seam is shot? I've replaced nearly everything else and despite my tank being in really good condition i used the POR15 kit several years ago when I did my restoration, but I'm running out of things to point the finger out.

Thanks.

1972 RHD Auto - Sold

1973 RHD Verona - Project

1974 RHD chamonix - Towed 

1 hour ago, felix_666 said:

Old thread, but I like upcycling.

I'm trying to identify a strong cabin/boot fuel smell and wondering if there is a way to determine if the tank seam is shot? I've replaced nearly everything else and despite my tank being in really good condition i used the POR15 kit several years ago when I did my restoration, but I'm running out of things to point the finger out.

Thanks.

Does nearly everything include the O ring on the sender? When you have a full tank of fuel does it weep anywhere inside or outside? Is your recovery tank present and hooked up?

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Yep, replaced that 'special' o-ring twice, just be sure. New rubber filler neck and gasket, fuel line, all new hoses, some braided, although they only have 2000km on them, or 6 years. Good question about the weeping, I don't know. I was thinking about wrapping everything (hoses, tank, sender, etc) with thin paper to try and identify any minor leaks when driving. There is no recovery tank, DCOEs, and I vent to the atmosphere from the filler neck via the boot floor.

I figured if there were any leaks in the seam I could press on the tank and make it breathe with the vent blocked, but the tank stays nice and firm as if it's air tight.

The search continues. 

1972 RHD Auto - Sold

If it's leaking at all, you should be able to get underneath and see dampness somewhere shortly after you fill up the tank.  Make sure it's on a dry day, of course, and then crawl underneath.  The leaking fuel probably doesn't just drizzle out the seam and disappear, it will trickle down the side of the tank, collect in a damp spot on the bottom, and then eventually drip off the bottom.  I sealed mine with POR-15 sealer well, and it stopped that easy.  When mine leaked like that, I never had a smell in the cabin/trunk.  It was just exiting below and gone, and I just knew from seeing the dampness and dripping.  If you're smelling vapors, I'd bet its coming from higher up, where there is only vaporized fuel.

If you've got a full tank and no dampness anywhere near your tank, then I'd be looking elsewhere.  

Could the carbs be running too rich?  Even in top form, DCOEs can probably smell a bit like fuel .  Good hood seals and the little black drain tubes that go under the windshield can probably help that.  If it's really your trunk, I'd consider double-checking that your sealing the o-ring right and the filler neck.  Maybe something isn't getting tightened properly.  

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

FWIW, even with new gaskets, clamps and hoses I still had the fuel smell in the trunk/boot.   Fumes were still finding their way past the seals.   I used a fuel/oil gasket dressing around the bolt holes (tii tank) and that added the extra seal required to stop any fumes from escaping.

https://www.amazon.ca/Permatex-85420-Permashield-Resistant-Dressing/dp/B007VIGCJW

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Good tips on the tank.

The carbs could be running rich, but the smell is so strong (my eyes hurt after 20 min) in the cabin/boot and non existant around the engine.bay. I've got all new seals around the firewall including those water drain tubes, so not sure about the carbs, hard to be sure. 

Not sure how I could get the o-ring wrong? Has been replaced twice though. 

The filler neck rubber is new as it's the paper gasket and I've removed it several times. 

I might replace the short hose coming from the the tank to the plastic fuel line. 

Thanks all, keep you posted. 

1972 RHD Auto - Sold