• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sorry, another factory alloy wheel/tire question...

John_in_VA

I picked up a set of the 5x13 ET28 later alloys and would like to get some decent 13" tires before they go the way of the dodo.

I'm currently running 6x15 ET29 Panasports with 195/50 S02s, dropped with H&Rs and Bilsteins. I get occasional rubbing up front (e.g. sharp turn w/ compression) from the tread on the rear portion of the wheelwell unibody.

With the slight differences in offset & width, can I go with the 205/60-13 Sumitomo HTR 200 (top-ranked in category High Performance Summer), or stick with the 185/70-13 Yoko Avid T4 (mid-category Performance All- Season)?

2002alloywheel2.jpg

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

I've recently had both the 185/70 Yokohamas and the 205/60 Sumitomos, and like the Sumitomos better. I have two sets (205/60), one on 13x5.5 BBS wheels and one on stock 13x5 tii steelies.

post-1290-13667574480311_thumb.jpg

post-1290-13667574481904_thumb.jpg

I always do it right the second time.

1970 2002 Chamonix (Fiona)

1976 2002 Chamonix (Blanche), '73 2002 Colorado (Nemo), '72 2002 Riviera, '74 2002 Atlantik, '71 1600 Sahara (Binkley) all sold

Forgot to mention I have H&R springs and bilsteins as well.

I always do it right the second time.

1970 2002 Chamonix (Fiona)

1976 2002 Chamonix (Blanche), '73 2002 Colorado (Nemo), '72 2002 Riviera, '74 2002 Atlantik, '71 1600 Sahara (Binkley) all sold

Nice looking car Stu...but you forgot to mention the "offset" of your BBS's (sorry if I missed it). We all know the steelies are suiterd for 2002's, so that offset shouldn't be a concern....but what about the BBS's? My gut tells me the BBS's are something like ET30.

John, I believe you will be ok with the ET28 offset.....the Wheels I have on Hugo have a 26mm offset and they are tight in the rear but fine...But, I don't have 205's...I have 195/60/14 Bridgestones.

I "did" have 205/60/13 Yoko's on E21 steelies though - ET18...and those babies "rubbed" everywhere!

My '76 has Early Factory Alloys 13"x5" with 205/60/13 Sumitomo's and they clear everything (mainly due to the wheel offset no doubt). I've been wanting to try those on Hugo sometime...and I bet they clear as well - would probably look awesome, but I'm partial to the Superlites.

You will probably be fine.

John

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

I just switched from tired and cracked 205/60's (Optimus??) to Avid T4 185/70's on my car. Main reason I went with the narrower tire is I've got E21 turbines with offset of 18. The 205's rubbed up front on the fender lip anytime I took a fun corner, and also the rear on a good bump.

The 185's are definitely a different ride than the 205's. They're more foregiving on the road in terms of bumps and cracks in the road, which is both a pro and con in my book. I get a smoother ride, but I kinda miss the more direct connection with the road I felt with the 205's. Steering is a more noticable improvement than I expected at low speeds - it's just plain easier. The Avid's are also a LOT quieter than the 205's I had on. I don't have a good opinion on performance differences yet - they're brand new so I need to break 'em in first. On first drive, with a couple of offramps to push it on, I started to feel break-away earlier than with the 205's (expected). I also just generally feel slightly higher off the ground and a little less connected with the road.

post-1622-13667574488596_thumb.jpg

--

'73 Sahara numbers matching 

'74 Mintgrun sunroof car w/ oem Golde deflector, euro bumpers, 5spd, owned since 2002

The HTR's are nice! I was rollin the avid T4's on 14in bottlecaps for awhile, understeered a bit much for my liking, also not that great in the wet.The HTR's (205 60 13 on ATS CLassics) transformed the ride, understeer greatly reduced, great in the wet, they just plain stick. the taller sidewall tires also takes the edge off the slightly choppy ride of the bilstein sports/Eibach lowered suspension. I was apprehensive about going to 13in due to tire choices and ride characteristics, completly happy about it now. I also rolled the fender lips but in retrospect I don't think rubbing would have an issue anyway.

MJ

75 2002

76 2002

71 F250 camper special

If Hugo is clear with 205/60s, the later wheels with ET=28 SHOULD be OK at the rear, correct?

That'd be my bet John, yes. But, Hugo has 195/60/14's on Superlites with 26 mm offset. I believe Hugo would also be fine with the 205/60/13's on the early factory alloys...but I haven't tried that yet.

When I had the 205/60/13's on Hugo with E21 ET18 steelies - there was rubbing at full lock on the bottom of the nose...and you can't lower a car with that offset.

I really think you will be ok with the Mahle 13"'s with 205's John!

Good Luck,

John

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

Curt is correct, as usual :-) But, I really feel that with the '02 Factory Alloys (Early & Late) 13" x 5" Rims...the 205's "will" clear. This is mainly due to the correctness of the offset of these wheels. I have seen "Factory" Touring Pics with 205's on FPS Early Factory Alloys...from the factory!....I'll bet you will be fine, especially on a '74.

Let us know how it goes if you go that route.

John

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

regardless of wheel width, diameter, or offset. 205s work some cars but definitely not on all. Many cars even have a problem with 195s. Can you do a test fit?

Unfortunately I don't know anyone local with the proposed set-up to testfit, but might check with a nearby club-member-supporting tire store to see what they stock. They were willing to mount snowtires for the E28 to check for clearance issues, pre-purchase.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif