Guest Anonymous

Auto trans 2002's ... Garbage or liveable?

12 posts / 1495 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

Guys,

The wife wants an 02 but will only take an automatic for the hills here in San Francisco.

Will the 2002 auto trans hold up on our hills? I've heard its only a 2-speed. Is it a piece of crap? Maintenance nightmare? How does it shift? Replacement cost?

I have never driven one. If it is truly bad, I'll likely buy her an early Ford with a C4. At least those are cheap and plentiful.

Thanks.

Randy

Guys,

The wife wants an 02 but will only take an automatic for the hills here in San Francisco.

Will the 2002 auto trans hold up on our hills? I've heard its only a 2-speed. Is it a piece of crap? Maintenance nightmare? How does it shift? Replacement cost?

I have never driven one. If it is truly bad, I'll likely buy her an early Ford with a C4. At least those are cheap and plentiful.

Thanks.

Randy

Hi Randy

I my self have a 1975 2002 auto and love it , up hills without any probs at all she drives lovely and very fast as-well

Adam

My wife used a '74 auto as her daily driver for six years with no major problems. Great for around-town use.

Victor here in PR has used his sweet '74 Siennabraun auto on his daily commute for years. He recently replaced the tranny with one with 65k miles IIRC.

Then there's Andy Stuckey's wife's beautiful roundie with an E30 318i 4 speed automatic....

I say go for it!

BTW, 2002 automatics are three-speed.

I've heard its only a 2-speed.

I think it's a 3 speeder. I drove one once that chirped the tires in 2nd.

John

Go for it...and when she's done with it use it as the basis for an S14 engine & tranny swap...the auto tunnels will take the s14 tranny and you'll have a good excuse to build a screamer!

i may be picking up a '71 automatic

are the auto trannies the same throughout all 2002 years that it was available?

I've heard its only a 2-speed.

I think it's a 3 speeder. I drove one once that chirped the tires in 2nd.

John

Its a 3 speed 1 ,2 , D

Adam

Automatics are happy IF MAINTAINED -

one that has never had oil changes, hammered cold

run low on oil, slam-dunked some time during it's 30 years,

and 100K mile life - no worse than a 4/5 speed stick box.

Performance figures are just a tick-hair off - to no diff. at all

from manual shift car. Test drive it, LOOK and SMELL the oil on the dip stick - and ask about it's oil changes. Happy hunting.

15-2284608.JPG

Auto trans cars have most likely not been hot rodded or messed with too much which is a good thing. On the other hand, original auto trans guys were probably not "car guys", and maintenence was not an obsession like 4-speed owners (absolutley no offense to current auto owners).

Mine was an automatic when I bought it and was really suprised how well it shifted and drove especially for a car that had been sitting for about 6 years. I think the automatic transmission was a well built piece because it was the only thing on the car I changed because of my taste rather than a part that was worn out. I have to admit it wasn't as fun as a manual trans though on the twisty country roads, but still lots of fun around town.

Everything CD said is true... and I have a couple of more thoughts:

1. Leaks from the speedo input seal are common, but annoying

2. The plastic PRNDL housing next to the shifter is nearly always broken and difficult to find in good condition.

3. The automatics are 3-speed and enjoyable to drive. The 76 2002a I have for sale is a blast to drive. Whenever I want to just go out and get coffee, I grab the keys to this car first.

4. Make sure both of you drive a few. Automatic transmission technology has evolved a lot. Many people think the AT is a little loud and it is not as smooth as a modern transmission.

5. I find the transmission to be incredibly durable. These automatic cars also seem to be driven gently and carefully.

Did I mention I have one for sale yet? :-)

Good luck in your search and I am glad to hear someone is interested in saving another 2002a. Too many get converted to standard transmissions.

Brian Foster

Irvine CA

Our 75 works well on the hills in Seattle. We've had no problems with the car what so ever. The automatics tend to be owned by less agressive drivers (that is except for my daughter) and are usually in pretty good shape.