dmcinfo

Cleaning Engine Bay

11 posts / 2162 viewsLast Reply

I have an engine bay that is pretty gunky mostly grease, years of dirt and a few rust spots. How do others go about cleaning their engine bays (and the engine itself) and are there any tricks or tips on how to make it easier or achieve the best presentable appearance.

On a no more than slightly warm engine. Cover the distributor, coil and all the important electrical bits with plastic wrap. Spay un-diluted Simple Green - available at fine reatailers everywhere - geneorusly on everything. Let it soak for few minutes and then rinse gently with hose. You may need to repeat for heavy deposits. Remove plastic wrap and let the sun/breeze dry it out a bit.

I do this once a year.

a putty knife to remove the heavy stuff you can reach...an assortment of wire brushes and i use carb cleaner on the stuff it won't harm but keep it away from wires and plastic...a pressure washer is your best friend when cleaning a dirty engine..

I've tried Simple Green and carb cleaner and such, but didn't have too much luck. The good ole Gunk brand foamy-brite engine degreaser worked great for me. There are instructions on the can. Warm up the engine a little bit, cover electronics with plastic, spray it all over engine, wait like 5 minutes while also scrubbing on the hard parts. Then spray it all off with a hose.

Guest Anonymous

Once you get the oily / greasy slime off of the paintwork - (start with engine cleaner, then simple green, etc) Use Meguire's number 7 paint cleaner / polish. You'll be amazed what it can restore on original paintwork. If you're really anal retentive - you'll pull the wiring away from the sheet metal for a more thorough job on the driver's side.

If the paint isn't rusted through, and it's original - you'll be pretty appy I bet, with the results. I've used Brake cleaner on paintwork with safe results (though I don't recommend it except for extreme cases) , but NEVER carb cleaner.

HTH!

Paul Wegweiser

I use brake cleaner.

good paint stripper

I've had the best, quickest results with GUNK, or similar engine degreasers. Just wrap the dizzy up tight in plastic as the others mentioned, and hose off after five or ten minutes of letting it sit and loosen all the crud. It pretty much takes a solvent to remove a solvent, though I don't doubt that simple green could work.

i've found this to be the only cleaner that actually does the job...give it a whirl and let us know how it work'd for you....CLEAN ENGINE

Gee I just go to the quarter car wash, spend a couple of bucks and hose away. I don't cover the distributor or air cleaner just don't spray them directly, works great.

on underhood stuff, especially the electrical parts. It displaces any water that may have gotten where it should not have. 'WD' stands for 'water displacement', it was formulated to do this. ('40' from the inventor's 40th attempt at a recipe!)

I use the liquid stuff in a spray bottle (not aerosol can), works great, been doing it for years.

I just wipe down the high visibility areas with a rag after the WD-40 misting and I'm done and it looks like this:

COPmotor.jpg

tim