• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

looking for a test ride near Boston (2002 virgin)

///tonic

I've been checking out this forum near-daily for a couple of months now, ever since i realized that the 2002 is my dream car (specifically, a turbo M20-powered 2002 is my dream car).

So I've begun my search for the car of my dreams. I'm hoping to find one that's in need of restoration (so I won't feel bad changing color and swapping motors), but without too much rust, and ideally daily-drivable so I can enjoy it while I save up the money for the resto and the motor (it won't be primary transportation though).

Problem is, I've never even ridden in a 2002. I'm hoping some kind Boston area 2002 owner(s?) will let me have a look at their cars or even a ride, so I can get a better feel for the car, find out what exactly to look for when I buy, and get myself even more psyched for the project.

You can drive my race car back and forth in my driveway. HeHe. Maybe Winston TJ can take you for a ride. His car is a rusty POS, but it still drives well. Finding a clean car around here is going to be really tough. You would be better to bring one in from Cali on a truck. There is always something going on around here on the weekends. You are welcome to come by and grab a wrench. This weekends agenda includes further build up of a roll cage in a beetle, cleaning up the emision controls on a Triumph TR8, and build up of a new front subframe for the 2002. I am in Carver about a mile from Edaville and King Richards Fair.

ooh, turning a wrench or two is always a welcome opportunity. I've got to put new brakes on the 325 and the M3 first, but after that I'll definitely take you up on your offer.

Maine's a bit farther for me, but I just might swing up sometime.

Thanks both for the offers.

easy , walk over to Larz Anderson Museum of Transportation

in Brookline, Mass, on June 17 for German Car Day and see 1600-2002

and a smattering of 02 varients ie, M2's, Targa's, Convertibles,

Tourings -

And look at the Boston Chapter of the BMW Car Club of America - they host a BMW Councours day in your neighborhood in the summer.

AND come to Lime Rock Park - that's the sports car road course in the North West Corner of Connecticut - after Labor Day - there's

a fantastic 02FEST every year - 40 to 100 02's show up - from

dogs to Turbo's - to trailer queens. go here for those details >

http://www.ctvalley.org/

happy hunting.

28-6188558.JPG

26-8357973.JPG

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Ha, I was actually there for the 2006 German Car day, I even entered my (E46) M3 in the show. Unless I'm mistaken, there were only 2 or 3 2002s there (I was definitely hoping for a stronger showing). But thanks for the tips: i'll be back this year for sure, and LimeRock sounds well worth the trip.

Ummm srry it took me so lonng to reply. Where are you? I'm in Charlestown and work downtown... as ToddK says my car is a POS but hey the minute I put $ into the body some Townie will slam their 1985 Towncar into me. I've done a bunch of things and would be happy to let you take a drive. What are you doing this weekend? I probably will ski one day but shoot me an email & let me know - even a weeknight depending on where you are located. I park my car in a garage in Charlestown too...

thomasjwinston AT yahoo DOT com

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76