clc

Rattle can primer

7 posts / 1097 viewsLast Reply

I've got some steel wheels that I had burned/blasted and need to get some primer on them asap. Those of you that have rattle can sprayed their wheels is there a preferred rattle can primer to use?

TIA

I painted my whole roof-less Dodge primer... and left it that way.

Definitely the 'bondo' brand primer is the best available at a normal parts store. It has one of those blue style tips that gives you the nice broad sweep, and it lasts way way longer than any of the other cans. It'd take like 4 cans of the crappy paint to cover my Dodge, whereas the Bondo kind would cover the whole car with 1 can.

it used to be made with fish oil (ever see a rusty fish?) but not any more...not sure why. But it's still useful to have an anti-rust primer, cause no matter how thorough the sandblaster, they're not gonna get all the rust and crud out of the joint between wheel center and rim.

If you wnat more expensive stuff, try the Speas-Heckler "self etching" primer. That stuff will stick to stainless steel! I used it to primer my '69's hubcaps, which were painted silver from the factory...Original paint was peeling in 18 months, this stuff is still sticking after five years!

mike

Is the rustoleum red primer literally red??

it has fish oil as a component (probably from redfish) but now they just call it "red primer." Been using it for years; works well, inexpensive, easy to find.

mike

Thanks.

Easy to find is a big plus, I have to get some today for painting tonight.

Thanks again!!