peteinjp

Well despite everyones good advice I "won" an s14

16 posts / 1244 viewsLast Reply

I'm in for it now- I picked up what is said to be an excellent condition s14 with 55,000 miles on it on auction her in japan for $1600. Long block only. So I'll be looking for various stuff. I ma first try to run it with the tii injection because that is what I have and I like it. I may go megasquirt. I probably will not go for the original efi due to the expense of getting all the bits and pieces.

Feeling a little overwhelmed. Maybe that to do with the fact that we have a new baby, We're moving, and I'm starting a new business. Or maybe Its just the car- hahahaha. (This is where you guys write back positive "you can do it despite major life changes" type posts.)

Not trying to be sarcastic, but, I'd like to see you get it going with the tii injection :)

I think your best bet and cheapest rout is Megasquirt.

http://www.msefi.com/

Study up and enjoy. Congratulations on a win.

John

I'd have to agree with the megasquirt. I've been reading nothing but megasquirt pages/stuff for the last 3 weeks and mine arrived 2 days ago. Everything is laid out so nicely, I can't wait to start putting it together. If nothing else, spend a few hours reading some of the megasquirt info....

Hey John - like most things it's been done before:

Jerry3.jpg

Or even easier:

serrano4.jpg

Oh, and good luck Pete - you know it makes sense!

I think your right but there have been many a race car with the old kugel. Including TJW in hong kong. I'll probably go with megasquirt because I'll need to get it for the spark anyhow.

post-147-13667574466929_thumb.jpg

I believe they used a TEC-II system. It has not been fine-tuned yet, from what I hear.

Just last Sunday I spoke to the guy that originally did the conversion (hadn't seen him in about 10 years). A buddy of mine bought it from him and, after switching everything to the current body, sold it.

He said that he switched to Webers for simplicity's sake. He did not have the EFI from the S14 available, so he used a crank-fire ignition and the Webers. The guy currently owns an E30 M3 with Alpha-N and all the other goodies.

Consider the carbs! There is an S14 engine down here on a race car pushing out 235hp with twin 45's

Right now I'm open to all possibilities. I guess with well tuned carbs I could get within 85% stock horsepower tuning with the wideband. I have a feeling that dyno time here in japan is very pricey- but if I found a good tuner I'll be on it. It will come down to what I can do on the cheap at first. Megasquirt is hard to beat value wise but this is a bare block so... Best situation for me is to find someone that has upgraded everything and grab the lot of stock stuff in one fell swoop.

Thanks Noel- hows your car coming along. I think I bought some diff spacers from you a long time ago- with the step machined into them.

Right now I'm open to all possibilities. I guess with well tuned carbs I could get within 85% stock horsepower tuning with the wideband.

I think getting power out of carbs is the easy bit - making them driveable on a road car in all conditions is the tricky bit. Is this a raod car, track car or a combination? This quote from the former owner of that Peurto Rican m2 with twin 45's might give you a little inspiration:

"I have now another henna red m3 with alpha-n from john installed and

other mods. But I tell you that m2 was much faster. Not just because of weigth but because it revved up like a Suzuki hayabusa. Throttle response was superb, the engine was 100% stock and pulled much stronger than a 2.5 with cams. Gas mileage was also very good since no need to step too hard to gooo! Anyway I'm very happy to see my conversion on your unique site.

thank you!"

I've been keen on the idea of an m2 with carbs ever since - they'd look so much more period cool in a 40 year old shell. But I also love the way my car starts every time, whatever the weather - it's a virtue you quickly become accustomed to and easily forget about.

It just retired as my daily driver as we bought something better for snow and the baby. So the car is used for fun driving only. So I do not need to deal with traffic etc so much. Basically I'm setting it up like a rally stage car. I'd love to rally it some day. It will not see the track at any time soon.

I did have dual webers on the m10 at one time. They started and ran great regardless of the weather but they pulled hard when the pedal was down. They were well tuned. I would consider that direction but what is hanging me up right now is how to deal with the spark without the stock ecu. If i run megasquirt for the spark then I would be wasting money not to use it for the injection as well. Any thoughts on the ignition?

Also Nick I was wondering if to your knowledge anyone has modified the stock 2 pipe system to fit an 02. Your system is similar and with the similarities in overall design it seems that a little cutting and welding with a bend here and there might fit the m3 system. Any thoughts on that?