Guest Anonymous

What color to paint... need some opinions and ideas!

19 posts / 1062 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

Hi all, I've been working on getting this 2002 straight for some time now. When I bought it a couple of months ago the body lines were completely gone in some areas, the rear panel was kind of smashed in where the license plate is, the rockers, lower front valence and front floor pans were rotted out and after alot of metal work, time, and shooting tons of bondo snot rockets, I've finally got my car in primer(still needs 1 more coat and blocking). What colors are most favorable? I know 02's are known for having bright happy colors like Inka, Colorado, Golf, Verona, and such, but my car was originally Malaga. My question is... If I paint this car Malaga(which I'm not a big fan of), will this car have a better resale value as opposed to a repaint in another color. Also, I don't want to pull the motor to paint the engine bay, so if I paint it Malaga, I have the benefit of everything matching, but If I paint it another color, I'm going to have to do the flat black engine bay, which in my opinion looks half assed. So what do you guys think.. Malaga, Red, or Orange, other color opinions/suggestions wanted? Oh by the way the car will have the upper belt line chrome trim and euro bumpers mounted. Thanks, -Cyrus

75primer3.jpg

75primer2.jpg

75primer.jpg

I slap myself twice and say "remember, you said, never again!"

Then I start looking at car colors on cars on the street.

Especially in sizes and shapes that are similar to what I'm painting.

Thus, the Datsun is 1991 Isuzu dark blue,

Jenn's 2002 is VW Corrado purple,

and the 122 is British Racing Green (improved.

And the truck is still white.

And my street 2002 is still Atlantik.

And the other street 2002 will probably go Xterra yellow,

because I just can't slap myself enough

to like Golf!

But that's me.

Toby

Dunkelsaphirblau Metallic (Dark Sapphire Blue), Alpina number 07 59 016.... that gets you a 1 liter thing of paint.

I don't have the DuPont paint code for Alpina Blue, but that's the part number and real name for it. ;-]

ENJOY!

P.S. KSK quite possibly will quote you something near 4 digits for 1 thing of it.

P.P.S. Yeah, I asked about getting some last year...

You've come this far why not do the engine bay as well? Not ideal I know, but the previous owner of my car sprayed the engine bay with the engine still in - piled all the ancilleraries on top of the engine and wrapped it up.

BMW%2016%20.jpg

Personally I'd just pull the engine and do it properly - I put money on you regretting it later if you don't. You're probably keen to get the thing finished, but spend a little more time now and you'll love it more later.

As for colour - it's so subjective, and also depends a lot on the interior.

Either way, paint the engine bay, fresh Malaga or the color you like.

Polaris has always been my favorite color on an 02.

I agree with Nick and Bill - What's the first thing you

do when attending an 02 event ?- meet car friends ?

OPEN DA HOOD!

Remove the motor because there's still hidden areas

at the bottom of the firewall, frame rails that need attention, rust

treating, cleaning, painting. All your nice outside work will be for

nothing when the world looks under your hood.

AND GIVE UP THAT SILLY THOUGHT- resale value ! NEVER

will anyone make back the TIME and money you invest

in a project of love. Stop right now if that's the case.

Just spit a quick coat of BLACK and be done with it.

Have fun and work safe.

7228.jpg

Ouch on the engine bay opinions...

Mine's Satin black, but not rattle-can. I had the shop paint it that way intentionally so if I drop a wrench in there, i can still cover up my stupidity to some degree. Yeah, she'd probably look better with a painted 'bay, but with all the wrench work I do (and the fact that I'm one of the clumsiest bastards on the planet) I'd be too paranoid when I get in there.

People are gonna be pretty confused, i know that much, since everything will be replated and essentially brand-new (I even have a complete underhood decal set) but the bay won't match. To Quote C.D., I'm just gnna have fun with it, and screw resale value.

Grays and Silvers go well with black engine bays. Not blue or yellow or green. Red seems to look ok as well. White is kind of meh.

I went through the same steps you did.

Primer03.jpg

011.jpg

be daring...be unique...stand out in the crowd

esty768.jpg

not mine but beautiful...

aqua.jpg

I second the paint the engine bay thing. I would keep it Malaga. It looks so nice when it's new and shiny. Might want to think about the euro bumpers while your doing all that work. Your car look great, don't rush it now. I forget what Green this is but it's one of my favorites.

John

post-70-13667574462219_thumb.jpg

post-70-13667574463568_thumb.jpg

I think you'll change your mind about Malaga when you see Malaga freshly painted. The problem with the original Malaga paint on most un-restored '02's is it's faded, and lost that gorgeous patina it has when freshly painted.

My '76 is Malaga with Black interior (which I prefer over the more common "Tan").....I wouldn't ever have considered changing colors personally.

One option is to just keep buying '02's and eventually you "may" have all the colors you like! :-)

I didn't like Chamonix much either until Hugo came along....fresh Chamonix paint is drop dead gorgeous and anyone that tells you different hasn't seen a really nice Chamonix paint job!

John

I think you should go with the Malaga...to me it's one of the best colors for these cars...really shows off the chrome. If not malaga, then may i suggest the Agave green...also shows off the chrome and is a bit rarer than the malaga. As a third option, I like manilla..that off-white color that you hardly ever see, but looks so tasty.

But all that said, go with what you like the best..it's your car.

Cheers,

Ben

being original, it's really pretty when well applied--nice, deep glossy color and well suited for an 02...Maroon with silver wheels...very cool combination.

But whatever color you choose, do it right after all that prep work!

cheers

mike