Sign in to follow this  

supersprint header question

6 posts / 843 viewsLast Reply

whats the deal with the two 10mm studs on top of the three and four runners? heatshield? am i missing something?

Guest Anonymous

Yes, the studs are to attach a heat shield.

shermanmartinez@hotmail.com

i think I tried attaching the metal heatshield, but either the holes did not match or they were to high/low. I finally ground them down -just like almost everybody else. I use the 320 exhaust gasket/shield. What I found more problematic and anoying is that the bottom of one of the tubes interferes with the idler bolt. After installing, it was a bitch to grind the bolt down, I think after much beating the bolt may have put a nice dent on the tube, and this has ceased to be a problem!

Thanks for the headsup re the idler bolt interference; once the head comes back from the shop I will make a dry run install.

I already have the gasket/heat shield and will grind the posts off the header... I did not like the idea of covering it up completely. Its too pretty!

steering idler arm bolt head clearance - even with NEW motor/trans mounts is NIL.

I fabricated a simple aluminum sheet heat sheild attaching to the existing holes in the subframe - wrapping the sheet over the top of the idler bolt head and leaving a scoop like end at the front to pick up cooling air to

preserve the plastic idler bearings. Replace the idler bearings while you have the exhaust off. You may find you need to gently 'mould' a indent in the header just at the point of impart of the bolt head. Remember the motor jumps and moves while your hammering on it up the highway.

Your feeler gauge is a pinky finger - but it's a 'no-go' - not 'go' tight clearance. Just a bit of daylight. The Super Sprint is a sweet soundiing bit of kit - take the time to clean up the head stud holes on the header so it fit's over the 8-studs freely with no tension against any of the studs.