hplug

fuel delivery problem

4 posts / 971 viewsLast Reply

I am having an issue with my '76 carb car. If it sits for over an hour it will start run for about 2 minutes at idle then die, or die shortly after hitting the gas pedal. If I get out unbolt the stock mechanical pump hit the plunger a dozen times until I hear gas come through then it starts up and runs fine. I thought maybe my fuel pump was bad soe I ordered a low pressure electric and mounted it in the trunk as it stated. I did not remove the mechanical pump so I could check it out. With the electric pump it still does this. It seems the gas drains back to the tank. Any advice here? Thanks in advance,

H

You have an air leak in the vacuum side of the mechanical pump...

why it's not a fuel leak with a pusher electric, I have no idea!

hth,

t

I had a similar problem about a month ago, it seemed to only happen on really hot days (middle of summer here in Oz). I changed out the mech pump and its been fine since. The old pump was the early style that you could service, I pulled it appart to find it full of gunk (dont know how that got past the filter) after cleaning its now in my 1602 (where the other pump came from) and its been fine since. Do you have a filter BEFORE the mech pump? Try replacing it, it acts as a fuel resivour too.

Did you bypass the mech pump when you put in the electric? Not good if you didnt. With electric pump it should not happen, turn key on, listen for fuel being pumped then turn key - car should go - unless your float is sticking in the carb, not allowing fuel to come through - its worth a look. Beaner7102

It used to be a common problem. Just replace your fuel line from the firewall to the pump. Since that hoses is suction it doesn't show leaks. I don't know how many times a car would only run at lower rpm's and I sold them that hose and it took care of there problem.