beast02er

Anyone Custom wired their car to eliminate wires etc.?

6 posts / 998 viewsLast Reply

I was over at a VW forum checking out pics of early rabbits etc. A lot of them seem to have rewired their cars to hide all the wiring and remove the wires they don't need anymore. Anyone here done that? I suck at wiring and whatnot, but would like to do that to a) get rid of unneeded wires and clean up the look of the engine bay, and B) help eliminate a short that is draining my battery (that I can't find).

Any ideas/recommendations out there for going about it?

Just in case I decide to do it.

Bryan

red73

i did...the only place you can see wires is where the main harness comes out under the fuse box, into a large wire loom, then down & along the frame...just start cutting, extending and rerouting where you want them

yep, i did it. there's a crapload of wires that aren't necessary. i removed this pile:

DSC01365.JPG

I just kept rippin out, and checking whether the the car and all accessories still worked.

I've put a more detailed explanation in previous posts, and if you do a search you'll find it.

vw guys are all about the shaved bay, my buddy is in the process of doing it to his mkI jetta coupe should look close to this when he is done.

301.jpg

motor.jpg

The clean engine bays are indeed nice...and clean. I wonder though if you end up paying the price when something goes wrong and all the wires are in hard to reach places. As for all the wires you pulled Kfunk, it's hard to imagine that there's been no effect there. Did you ever back track and figure out what all that stuff was?

The clean engine bays are indeed nice...and clean. I wonder though if you end up paying the price when something goes wrong and all the wires are in hard to reach places. As for all the wires you pulled Kfunk, it's hard to imagine that there's been no effect there. Did you ever back track and figure out what all that stuff was?

Much of it is weird stuff for the emissions system thats long gone, some stuff for the stock solex carb, a few remaining wires from a long gone security system, and theres a bunch of crap for the stock external voltage regulator (replaced with internal on 320i alt).

I took a video of the car running with all those guts ripped out:

http://www2.hawaii.edu/~kfunk/2002/wiring/MOV01334.MPG