70roundtail02

Dilemma opinions needed...lots of pictures

Metal or Fiberglass  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Metal or Fiberglass

• Metal
    • Fiberglass

15 posts / 1849 viewsLast Reply

So i have my car and I had made the decision to go for the wide body look and was fortunate enough to acquire the full set of zender fiberglass flares while in Germany. These are really nice shape with only a few easily fixable blemishes. Then I acquired a car that had what i thought was also zender fiberglass flares, instead it turns out the car has actual metal panels. The second car really isn't worth anything as a street car it has been hacked up and a frame made to fit a small block. It does have coil overs front and rear and a rack and pinion steering setup. The dilemma comes from cutting off the metal flares/quarters from the "race" car and replacing them on mine, or using the fiberglass ones. Opinions, and adivce appreciated.

Tristan

grey one is the "race car"

DSC01068.jpg

DSC01066.jpg

DSC01063.jpg

As mine currently sits

DSC_0037-1.jpg

DSC_0034-2.jpg

DSC_0029-1.jpg

Did the race car ever turn a wheel, or was it an unfinished project? Looks like quite an interesting front suspension set up - are they upper wish bones I see in that engine bay? Plus rack and pinion. Not to say it's going to work well, but interesting nonetheless.

Is it too butchered to adapt to road use? Steel wings are going to be so much nicer to have, and by the looks of it, you have hours and hours of work to get your road car ready for paint anyway.

Alternatively stick with the plastic on the road and build your self a track car.

Tricky one.

Nick

unfinished project the whole thing is a boxed frame with an 02 body essentially set on it. The guy had set it up I think for a small block chev...Being in college right now and going to gradschool in a year the amount of time spent on the car is limited.

Getting it done on a time scale really isn't my concern the fact that I have done all the work myself, haven't paid a dime for shop time or anything. My real goal is having a really nice looking car, I don't want to worry about cracks in the paint or anything like that.

The front fenders can be glass since they don't have much if any structure to add to the car. The rears need to be glass over metal since the rear quarters are structural to the car. However I don't know how much they play a part in your car since there is a lot going on there. I'd concentrate on the street car.

John

It's a tough call... I decided against a set of Schnitzer (style) flares since they were all fiberglass. As a street car I wanted as much metal as I could since I would be driving the car with my children.

The metal flares look pretty nice and would offer more protection as well as be easier to repair.

It would also be easier to sell the Zender flares since they are really hard to come by (as you already know).

Right now all the focus is on the street car, well actually right now the focus is on getting into grad school....What I was thinking was essentially doing a rear quarter panel replacement with the metal ones, feasibility of this?

I think I saw that car at a towing yard on Vashon - setup for small block chev with a different diffy (535 I think they said). They said the car was originally by Ireland but never confirmed. I would go with the zenders

the steel flares look very nice to butcher, you can either sell the car or just finish it up and drop a bmw v8 or a big six and make it a race car. you can also have a fiberglass guy make molds out of the flares, then you can start selling the flares in the faq.

the race car has a lot done to it the wish bones, the rack and pinion, need to confirm the diff, front and rear coilovers, but the lack of financial means and time (stupid college) is really hindering any work on that car. Soo yea decisions decisions

Guest Anonymous
I think I saw that car at a towing yard on Vashon - setup for small block chev with a different diffy (535 I think they said). They said the car was originally by Ireland but never confirmed. I would go with the zenders

We know about this car, but it was not built by us. It was originally constructed by a guy in Winsconsin (name escapes me), and had a Buick 215 V8 (basis for the Rover Aluminum V8) with a Hydramatic. The chassis was tube framed, and essentially had 2002 body panels draped over it. The constructor's original idea was to build a drag car iirc.

The steel flares were made by slitting the original bodywork at the identity lines, pulling them out, and adding a filler panel (don't think you could swap these over to your other car, would be way too time intensive). The body was also shortened by deleting the sills (most evident if you look at a rear 3/4 view).

Front suspension was via upper/lower A-arms, and the rear axle was E30. The suspension and steering needed to be sorted out, doubt this has been looked at.

We were in posession of this car for a little while, but never got around to doing anything with it, and sold it to a fellow named Morgan from Vashon, who was going to use it to build a Bonneville time trial car. Guess he didn't get too far with it, as it looks mostly as it did 10 years ago (except for the firewall and tunnel, which were intact last time we saw the car).

As per Jeremy - the race 2002 when I looked at it just wasn't enough 2002 to even consider doing anything with. How did you end up with it? The tow yard had 4 2002's from Morgan and one was a roundtail tii w/factory sunroof (rough shape) if memory serves me right and a 74 with 5spd conversion and the tow guy wanted all gone as a package and I never did figure out where they all wandered off to.

yea i wound up with it for free, the owner was going to be kicked out by his landlord if it wasn't gone so i figured you can't beat the price of free

just to clarify this is for going on the car that has the fiberglass flares on it in the pictures, and the street car is already getting all the time and money i can devote to it.

I would stick with the fiberglass ones as they are tried and true. The metal ones look like too much work to make fit, I think Jeremy is right on that one.