• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M42 / M44 conversion blog, as promised...

skipsfcr

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Do you think 32 months is is too long to wait for an update? Oh well. What can I say except it's a mistake to try and work on your own project at a retail automotive service facility. Can you say back burner? Anyhow the car is finished except for exhaust. Here are a few shots. I'll take some more detailed shots after I tidy up a few loose ends. I actually relocated my business during this cars downtime.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Car still has that lovely, thick layer of dust on it.

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so I finally had an exhaust system installed on the car today. It's not a piece of art but it's functional. I had driven the car with the open header several times just to make sure things were sorted out before putting exhaust plumbing in the way This photo illustrates how far forward I've got the engine mounted in the car. Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Initially, before finding out my M44 short block was junk I test fit everything with a modified stock header. It fit ok but after I saw Jake Berkell's modified M50 manifold (and given the fact I already had one) I decided to modify it for use on the 4 cylinder. I actually accumulated spare parts to run sort of a low boost (~5.8psi Saab 9-3) turbo setup but I decided enough is enough. Time to get the thing drivable. I can play with turbos later.

I think a lot of folks are interested in mounts for this swap. Designing mounts is one of the more "difficult" parts of swapping in an engine but it's really not rocket science. (Jake has indicated that he may make some available for sale in the near future) Ironically, my right side mount looks a lot like Jake's...Or should I say his looks a lot like mine? Only hisis WAY prettier! I had my engine mounted and in the bay well before I ever saw Jakes photos...yet our mounts look very similar...a plain indication to me that common sense directs one toward this type of design. I've never seen Jake's left mount but mine is a simple triangular plate with part of an '02 mount bracket welded to it and an E30 mount in place of the stock '02 unit. Again, not too hard to design.

This photo illustrates how far forward the engine sits in the engine bay. Not as far forward in the front as an M10 but MUCH farther than the M42 sits in the E30's engine bay. (The camera angle is a bit askew and makes it look as though the engine is crooked although it is not)Image and video hosting by TinyPic

OK...crap...I though I had resized the photos. Let me try again. The sump sits pretty low in the car. No lower than my air dam but I definitely wouldn't want to try to straddle an armadillo in the middle of the road.

As I stated when I originally began this blog I'm using a 4 speed from an E21 323i. One of the reasons the engine is mounted so far forward is because the driveshaft is stock, uncut, as are the shifter components. I had a five speed as well which could have easily been mated to the 4 speed case but I liked the idea of the M42 with the 4 speed and 3.64:1 LSD. After driving it I think it's a pretty decent combo. It also uses a mechanical speedometer so, although it's not especially difficult, there's no need to devise an electric speedometer.

Another benefit to the forward mounting and my choice of transmissions is NOT having to modify the steering center (drag) link. There's only about 1/4" of clearance but it's enough for full lock in either direction with no interference.

The car in which I installed this engine has a bit of a reputation among my fellow local '02 enthusiasts. It always had a loud exhaust and it does again. I used 2.25" pipe into a 2.5" center in/out Magnaflow. There is no resonator. It actually sounds pretty decent. Not ricey but agressive.

Although the mechanical fan can be installed if the blades are trimmed a bit, it sits offset with the E30 radiator. I opted to use a Spal pusher fan wired through a relay, switched by a temp switch in the top right corner of the radiator

Another facet of swapping in a fuel injected engine which seems to intimidate some folks is the wiring connections. There is a very short list of connections to be made. The round connector C-101 on the E30 M42 harness contains almost all the wires you need to connect to

1. you must run a fused wire from fuel pump power supply wire to E30 in-tank fuel pump.

2. blue wire to alternator field current wire

3. temp gauge wire

4. oil sending unit wire

5. tachometer lead

6. starter wire from ignition switch

7. ignition coil power wire

8. you must tie the heavy gauge power wire which connects to the '02 alternator to the corresponding red wire in the M42 engine harness

All in all this stuff is almost dead easy.

Here's the rat's nest before tidying up.

• 1 month later...

Here's a little "driving impressions" video we shot yesterday. Pardon the shakiness. My co-pilot shot this freehanded with my cheapo motorcycle helmet cam. There's a whole lotta windshield wiper arm in this clip.

• 8 months later...