skian

38/38

12 posts / 1258 viewsLast Reply

what do i need for a 38/38 and is it as much of a gas guzziler as people say?

In my opinion, it's not that bad on gas.... IF you can keep your right foot restrained. It's an art that I have no chance of mastering. foot to the floor weeeeee!!!!

Doesn't seem to burn inordinate abounts of gas much around town or throough the country either, considering the way I drive.

You'll need a new or modified intake manifold, and that's about it. I'm running a 38/38 with 9.3:1 compression ratio but otherwise unmodified engine and I wonder how well a 38/38 works on a completly stock set up. Anybody have any input on that?

I should be able to provide that info in the next week or two. I'm running 8.5.1 with 145 - 150 compression. The motor is estimated to only have about 15k on it, obviously not the original..

The stock holes are too small where the carb mounts for a 38.

My 38 actaully seems to do better on gas than my 32/36. i swap them on the same car whe I need a change. I have recorded 26mpg on a 2hr trip with the 38.

The 32/36 is smoother around town. The 38 has long legs on the highway and acceleration is very good.

Surprisingly,

the 32/36 does just about as well on the track as the 38 does.

They're both jetted to give an a/f of around 13:1 (neither are as stable as the 40's) at WOT from 4k to 6k, and both give an indicated 105 mph going into turn 1 at PR.

I think the 32/36 was thirstier, though!

t

I really don't see how the two could be equal in performance the 38/38 is designed with a six cylinder in mind has always been my understanding.

Here is a decent article from a bulider of BMW engines

http://terrysaytherauto.com/2002Weber.htm

Like I said earlier a 38/38 will be faster than a tii that has 130hp and your simply not going to get that from a 32/36 based on what the folks at Metric have told me.

Great information! I was thinking about removing the 38/38 on my Polaris project but after reading this article and the other responses, I will leave it be.

Great information! I was thinking about removing the 38/38 on my Polaris project but after reading this article and the other responses, I will leave it be.